Best Way to Save / Recall MIDI CC Data?

I’m using CC Automation to generate sample-and-hold effects in my hardware synths. I prefer CC Automation to MIDI Controller Lanes because it’s easier to select all of the nodes in a region. [For some reason, the Key Editor offers no Range Selection tool.] Rather than redraw the patterns by hand each time - some of them are pretty complex - I’d like to save them to disk. However, the only option I’ve found to do this is File > Export > MIDI File…, but then the data can only be imported as MIDI CC data and I’ve found no way to copy those nodes into a CC Automation track.

It’s not a huge imposition to work in the Key Editor, but is that the only way to go? Why is there no Range Selection tool in the Key Editor? More times than not, I end up missing a few nodes or accidentally grabbing nodes I don’t want.

Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,

You can save the project, and then you can import data from the project to another one.

Thank you for the recommendation, Martin!

After several hours of experimentation, I’m following your recommendation to Import > Tracks from Project… but sticking with MIDI Controller Lanes. As explained, they’re not ideal for drawing patterns in the first place, but easier to work with after the fact. I’ve got all the patterns in separate tracks, muted and organized by type (e.g., sine, saw up, saw down, s&h) and cycle duration (e.g., 1/4 note, 1/16th note). It’s a simple matter to import the lot, find a pattern, and delete the rest.

In fact, I’m using this so frequently, I might just take it a step further and store the patterns in my project templates or track archives.

Thanks again!

MIDIOX might do what your looking for, it has all sorts of MIDI utilities/functions (and it’s free).
www.midiox.com

I don’t understand how programs like MIDIOX, Piz-MIDI, etc., operate in conjunction with a DAW, being that they run autonomously, rather than via MIDI Inserts, for example. Do they intercept MIDI port messages before Cubase? After Cubase? Both?

Otherwise, it looks intriguing, but there’s also the problem of saving MIDIOX settings separately from your Cubase projects, or maybe saving the output back into Cubase, if that’s even possible (without creating an infinite loop). Lots of questions…

This got me looking at the many third-party MIDI plugins available that do what I’m looking for (and then some). I sincerely wish Steinberg would add support for third-party MIDI plugins on MIDI Track inserts. I did stumble across Frank’s MIDI Plug-Ins, which appears to do much of what I’m asking, but not everything.

Thank you for the recommendation. Lots to consider here.

Hi,

These applications are running in parallel, independently.

I understand “independently,” but assume they operate in series, not in parallel. Not to be pedantic, but it relates to my confusion: Does MIDIOX process data between the MIDI controller and Cubase? Between Cubase and the hardware synth? Both? Neither?

I get nervous installing anything that might mess with my Windows (Win 10) device configuration, but I guess the best thing to do here is install it for myself and see.

Hi,

Why do you assume they operate in series? If you assume this, then your questions are valid. But if this is not true…?

The signal is not processed by Cubase and then goes to MIDIOX (or vice versa), if you don’t route the signal like this. The signal is processed in parallel. The signal goes to Cubase and in parallel (independently) to MIDIOX.

I can’t imagine why anyone would assume otherwise. A MIDI processor is typically inserted into a signal chain (a serial chain) for the purposes of modifying the signal between transmitter and receiver (e.g., MIDI interface and synthesizer). Cubase and MIDIOX might be parallel processes (fully capable of ignoring each other), but Cubase users probably want MIDIOX to interface with Cubase, and that means a serial routing scheme (however MIDIOX accomplishes this - I’m still curious to know).

Yes, this is MIDI protocol. But in your computer it doesn’t behave this way any more. It’s handled the same way as other tasks with the priorities, etc.

If you want to use MIDIOX like this, you have to make a proper routing. Use any virtual MIDI Port and route the signal from Cubase to the MIDIOX.

Or use MIDI Monitor plug-in in Cubase.

Gotcha. That’s very helpful. Thank you!

Hi. You can move CC data from a MIDI part to an automation lane using MIDI->Functions->ExtractMIDIAutomation. And you can put it back into the MIDI part by using MergeMIDIinLoop. These may help…

Also, there’s an AutoLFO Midi insert which may do what you want, with this you can send sine waves etc to your external synths.

But really what we’re need is some automation LFOs which we can freely route to various places, VSTi’s, FX and also out to hardware synths.

Mike.

BULLSEYE! I haven’t played with it yet, but if the Density parameter allows for S&H type effects, I can maybe ditch my scratch-built waveforms altogether.

For the record, this isn’t the first time I missed a Cubase feature because Steinberg discusses plugins in a separate bloody manual. :angry:

Thanks a million, Mike!!!

Glad to be able to help!! I hope it does what you need.

Mike.