Best ? Workflow to Reference,Balance Multiple Tracks and Multiple Songs

Ive got reference track working through control room in cubase 11 pro and i do know that i can create multiple reference tracks using track versions.
As a simple example say i have 10 songs that have 10 audio tracks in each song that are going to be an album when completed.
Say i want to reference and balance volume on all 10 vocal tracks in one project window.
Is it usual practice to load all 10 songs,100 tracks into a project,then select 10 vocal tracks and use show only selected track and use up and down arrow to listen to each one through reference cue in control room,i could then use this same technique on bass guitar,elec guitars,etc
I cant really think of an other way to get all vocals and instruments tracks with a consistent balance on all the different songs.
I dont have any experience of attempting this,so it would be very helpful to get some feed back,many thanks.

I can’t say whether it’s normal or not, but it’s not the way I would do it. Working with all the tracks from all the projects at once would be very cumbersome. I would mixdown each song separately, to create 10 audio files, then import them all into a new project on separate tracks. I would arrange them so that they are top to tail, so you can listen to the whole album.

In the new project I would run audio → statistics on all 10 tracks, and make a note of peak and LUFS values.

I would make pre-gain adjustments based on that, to get them closer in level, then listen to the 10 songs, make notes, and then go back and edit each song accordingly, also taking into account the peak and LUFS values.

Then repeat the whole process until everything sounds good together.

I personally don’t start this process until the songs are individually almost complete - starting too early in the songs’ development will waste a lot of time. And I wouldn’t apply any limiting while you are doing this.

Hello Richard, I think what your saying is that everything needs to be mixed in context for each song which Is very logical, I just want to get the vocal level volumes as close as possible to each other in each song,.
You mention
I would make pre-gain adjustments based on that, to get them closer in level, then listen to the 10 songs, make notes, and then go back and edit each song accordingly, also taking into account the peak and LUFS values.

When you refer to going back and editing each song accordingly, do you mean going back to the project and editing the tracks until you get all the songs the way that you want.
I watched Chris Selim explaining about ĹUFS and perceived loudness so again what your explaining is clear to me.
The one thing one thing that I do think will cause me problems is trying to get the db range between the higher and lower db fairly narrow,I’m thinking that compression will play a part in the final outcome and then thinking if the db range is too narrow it probably means that I have compressed the life out of the song,this is pure speculation on my part as I honestly dont know ,I’m the same as every other beginner, trying to figure it as I go,and boy is their plenty to figure out and in my case not a lot of time left to figure it out lol,thanks for your input,much appreciated

Others are commenting on how best to do this in Cubase, but you are basically asking about the Wavelab workflow. You might want to look into that and maybe demo the software.

Thanks very much for that tip on Wavelab,I’m going to check it out,sounds interesting

Yes, I’m saying go back to each song project and edit it, then re-render and rebuild the album.

The best way to handle the loudness issue (for me at least) is to listen to the album project without limiting until the levels of all the tracks sound about right, and only then apply limiting to reach your target loudness. Other people might do it differently, but this way you’re going to be applying fairly consistent levels of limiting across the album. If you use limiting to get the tracks to have the same basic level, it’s likely you’ll apply quite different amounts on each track.

Makes sense what your saying, I think its easy to get carried away with wanting very precise sound levels and possibly forget get that what we are trying to produce is music that effects peoples emotions, not just a clinical sound wave algorithm.
Many thanks for your advice.