Better associaton between MIDI Track and related rack instrument track

I’ve found several references to this situation on the forum… but there doesn’t seem to be an answer…
I’m using rack VSTs (Halion, UVI Workstation) with multiple devices (instruments) in each. Each instrument is associated with a MIDI track in the project window. This is fairly standard practice, I’m sure …
I also have ‘Sync Selection in Project Window and MixConsole’ active. This insures that QCs work on the track I select in the Project window. Because… the QC works on the track selected in the MixConsole, NOT the track selected in the Project Window. This seems counter intuitive. But anyway…
The issue here is that I cannot play the MIDI instrument and use the mixer on for the associated audio track without activating the ‘monitor’ on the MIDI track - when selecting the MIDI track to play the instrument, the MIDI track is selected in the MixConsole instead of the associated audio track I just opened.
This is a rather big slowdown to workflow.

If there was a way to better associate a MIDI track to it’s corresponding audio track… or if someone has found another way to accomplish this…