Better EQ in Channel Strip (Frequency or 3rd party EQ like Pro-Q 2)

A better EQ in the channel Strip would be nice. 4 Bands are too limited. Why not use the Frequency EQ?

It would be awesome to choose your own Channel EQ like the Pro-Q 2 for example.

+1

+1
Or, if that’s all too difficult/problematical, maybe just add an extra EQ band or two, some colouring of the bands, a bypass for the bands that leaves their curve in place (but dims them to just an outline) like its already done in the Frequency EQ plugin…

Deactivating a band - ok, I get it, the curve disappears; but the whole ‘controls area’ associated with that curve should dim… so it properly looks deactivated.!

In summary, visual cues (GUI) have been bettered (by SB’s own efforts) elsewhere.

Yeah, i mean they should def simply allow us to set custom plugins of our choice for the relevant slots and be done with it. Their little selection is fine, but they def know that many of us wanna use certain third party EQs or compressors and gates on every channel too, so we’re simply gonna in the end disregard the channel strip. It’s cool, but let us customise it ourselves. It’s pointless trying to push certain sounds and processes on producers and artists.

No 3rd party plugins in the channel strip will not happen I’m pretty sure because you want this portion of cubase to be cross compatible between users, as well as older versions of cubase so this likely, I’m guessing, will not change except for maybe GUI changes. You want the basic functions of Cubase to be able to be opened up regardless of version - some people mix/work entirely within Cubase - no 3rd party tools and I’m pretty sure, they would want Cubendo to have cross integration with Nuage consoles. Channel strip function needs to be universal across cubase/nuendo users.

It’s more flexible than an API 550a or 550b and some people mix with nothing but those on a console.

Deleted

No 3rd party plugins in the channel strip will not happen I’m pretty sure because you want this portion of cubase to be cross compatible between users, as well as older versions of cubase so this likely

But why wouldn’t it be cross compatible between users? It would be optional! So if you work with other users simply use the default channel strip!

It’s like saying: You can’t use 3rd party plugins because Cubase needts to be cross compatible. If you work with other users, you have to have the same plugins or don’t use certain ones. There is no differece if a plugin is loaded in an insert slot or the channel strip. :exclamation:

The fact that the code has changed in the channel strip itself could and would likely cause compatibility issues.

It absolutely don’t have to! They implement new features to the channel strip often. The updated plugin maximizer was added, functions in the compressor and so on.

Even IF (!!) there would be a problem, they could add a setting like “compatibility mode for old channelstrip”. I know many software which use a compatibility mode or things like that.

It’s just not a valid argument in my opinion.

new features isn’t the same as developing an EQ standard that all their hardware controllers is mapped for, all versions of the program are compatible with, all users have and know, is integrated into live systems and digital consoles, etc, etc.

It’s like and SSL console, people can save the total recall settings at one studio, and bring them to another SSL studio and continue working with the same settings on the same EQ. The console has insert points.

So why would 8 instead of 4 bands be a problem? All the existing live systems and digital consoles simply use 4 bands? I don’t get your point at all.

So in your opinion because of old consoles, controllers and so on we are stuck on a 4 band EQ, 8 send effecst and 8 quick controls? So we will never see an update there? This doesn’t make sense.

Btw: They could simply make those changes optional. Have you thought of that?

You would have to re-write older versions of the program, to read the new changes you are describing which is not something that is done… And in some instances, you would even have to write code into older versions of the program to ignore the new code other wise you would probably get functions not working at all or the program would just crash.

If someone has an 8 bands version, and someone as the 4 bands version… or the digital consoles haven’t got an update yet… well that mix transfer is now illegitimate as the person with 4 bands is missing a lot of EQ on their version. So yeah it’s a problem. Okay, so the 4-band person asks the 8 band person to ONLY use 4 bands, but the 8-band person already did the entire mix using all 8 bands on every channel - now what?

You would have to re-write older versions of the program

I really don’t think so. If this is true, they need to re write older versions all the time.

Why can I use Vari Audio 3 in Cubase 10, save the project, open it in 9.5 and everything works flawlessly? I simply didn’t use the new features like Formant Shift. I just tested it and it worked. No problems at all
This is the exact same situation. They added a feature on top of an existing one and it works! The same goes with the insert slot count. They added 8 more slots and it works. As long as you use only 8 you can work on older versions.

Okay, so the 4-band person asks the 8 band person to ONLY use 4 bands, but the 8-band person already did the entire mix using all 8 bands on every channel - now what?

Communicate bevore and not after the work is done. Just because of a situation like this we should keep only 4 bands?

Question for you: So the Cubase 8.5 Person ask the 9.5 person to ONLY use 8 inserts, but the 9.5 person already did the entire mix using all 16 inserts on every channel - now what?

Just use an eq in one of your 16 inserts.

What do you think I do all the time? :laughing: Because of that I write this Request. Because it would be nice to have a better EQ in the Strip.

Sometimes less is more. I’m pretty sure it is designed to be that way. Use it to get initial frequency adjustments and filtering, then expand on that with your more feature abundant inserts if needed.

i want to use it, but just 4 freq bands ? Steinberg might think if you need more than 4 freq bands, your source material is probably crap anyways

+1 … i really don’t know why Steinberg hasn’t updated the channel setting EQ bands at this point. 4 bands EQ in 2019 doesn’t make sense at all. That EQ section need a though rework.

+1 Awesome suggestion.
If this is not possible, at least insert one (or more) native Cubase effects in a channel strip slot.

Pro-Q2 or even better Pro-Q3 would be great as Eq used in almost every channel. I do like EQuality or EQuilibrium from DMG Audio as well.