BFD2, would you recomend it??

I have BFD Eco and the x64 update is hanging on exit in Cubase 6.5 64bit. I assume that it’s the same issue that some are having with BFD2. It doesn’t crash the project, but it’s causing Cubase to hang when trying to close the project. This is on projects with nothing other than Eco in it.

One thing I noticed was that Eco did not pass the VST scan after the first install. I got it off the VST blacklist by removing the plugin/blacklist html pages and rescanning. Maybe this is the reason, but I’d like to use this thing without stressing about the stability of the project. It’s putting me off on getting in on the March BFD2 deal - which is the reason I got Eco in the first place. Customer support responded as if I was alone in experiencing this but I see posts here and there describing the same problem…

What I don’t understand is why some Cubase 6 users are experiencing this and others are not. I keep my system clean with separate folders for 64bit/32bit plugins. Registry is clean, never had this issue with Cubase before, this didn’t happen with the 32bit version…I’m at a loss.

Has anyone found a solution for those experiencing this issue?

You are absolutely positive that you are loading the 64-bit VST and not the 32-bit VST? Look at your plugin information to make certain.

Ron

Ron,

I’m positive as I only have Cubase 6 x64 installed and it’s directed only to my 64bit plugin folder. Eco installs an .exe file and .dll file for 64bit and 32bit separately. Unless the installer places the 32bit .dll file in the 64bit folder, I’m doing things correctly.

My 64bit plugins are in C:Programs->Steinberg->Vst Plugins and that’s the only plugin path for Cubase 6. The 32bit stuff is in the C: Programs (x86) directory.

What gets me is that Eco will not pass the plugin scan at startup and gets blacklisted. It’s the only plug I own that does this. I have to close Cubase, delete the blacklist/plugininfo/vstplugins .html pages and it passes the scan the 2nd time around. I can then instantiate it, but it will hang on closing the project. I think the issue is related to failing the initial scan but no matter how I uninstall/clean reg/install it won’t pass the first time through.

I wiped everything fxpansion related from the registry to do a clean install, and still I can’t get it to pass the blacklist.

Just to update here: I tested all last night and this morning. Fresh Cubase install, Eco install, registry cleaning and all sorts of other things.

Microsoft Runtime C++ 2005 Redistributable version 8.0.56336

It was installed with the m-audio usb/midi driver for my controller. I tried uninstalling the m-audio driver and the Cubase project did not hang. Tried to reinstall the driver, but it would not reinstall without this version of C++. Got it installed and project hangs again. So:

(1) Removed just the driver, leaving the C++ version there = Project hangs
(2) Reinstalled driver, uninstalled the C++ version = Project closes properly

So as far as the project hanging, for whatever reason, Eco + Cubase 6 + this version of C++ cannot coexist. What I don’t understand is that Eco would not hang every project it was instantiated in. Only 75% of them…

Also, I’m not sure that this explains why Eco would not pass the initial Cubase vst scan and gets blacklisted. In any case, looks like I’m back in business…