Big Black Wav files and levels pumping red when recording

I have been using this set up for about 2 months with no problem, recording 4 trax for drums, vocal ect, but this week I started experiencing some problems when recording. It seems, on a certain project, when I engage my red record button in the track, the yellow monitor lights up too, I get some high peak levels, peaking/pumping in the red for a couple of the projects I am working on. When I hit record I don’t get a nice wav file, I get a big fat black block, instead of a dynamic, defined wav file. This is happening on certain projects and doesn’t happen on others. I have tried different xlr’s, ¼ inch cables mics and instruments and it SEEMS that the issue is between the AKA EIE and Cubase. I have checked my inputs in Cubase and I have checked my control panel and both seem like they are set to where they are supposed to be. The one project I am having problems with when I have the BUSes set to input 2 or 4, it looks like I am getting a normal signal, but when I hit record I get that big black nasty wav form. If I use BUS 1 or 3, my track levels are pumping high in the red and it records a big black wav file.
Does this make sense? Please let me know if you need more info.
I have tried this on other projects and I do not have this problem. For example, for vocals, I get a nice dynamic wav file, not the big black block wav file. I am sending this to both Steinberg and the AKAI people to see if anyone has any idea how to fix this.

I am using an AKAI EIE audio interface (the Red one, not the PRO)

Cubase SX
Toshiba satellite c655d
windows 7 64 bit
processor:amd E-300 apu
ram 4 gigs

Thank you!!!

PS. I have checked my levels going in and out too.

Looks (sounds?) like you are experiencing the equivalent of feedback or howl round - some output from Cubase is being fed back to the input when you are recording. Compare the settings between working and not working projects.