Big News! Wednesday 28th July 1300GMT on YouTube

I just hope it involves fixing the horrendous Play window… :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Why would you? There’s only been dozens of posts begging and pleading for missing features. That’s nothing compared to a flood of requests for an iPad reader…

What exactly would an iPad Reader do? Would it be very exciting?

PDFs are in some ways limited, e.g. you can’t transpose, adjust the note size or play them back. With a Dorico iPad Reader App that should be possible.

For real? Maybe there’s the assumption that it is obviously the next thing on the list…? :thinking:

1 Like

No one can say that Dorico’s announcement did not attract the desired attention.

I know there are many faithful Sibelius-users that stopped with version 7.51 - just like me. - because they would not be subscribers.
I have always updated programs I use regularly, and maybe it cost the same as a subscription, but it is my own decision.

4 Likes

I have a subscription to InDesign and Acrobat, and recently Office 365. It is what it is. I get the latest version, and yes it’s a monthly cost, but it’s the cost of doing business.

1 Like

I would not consider walking away. I would walk away. Immediately. And I, as we all, love Dorico, which is nowadays my main composing tool (having been using Finale [and Sibelius until it became a subscription nightmare] for as long as it has been existing).

Anyway, looking forward to tomorrow’s big announcement. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

explain that to my parish. lol.

3 Likes

If that’s the cost of doing business, there’s something wrong with the business. :sweat_smile:

And as retired I am out of daily business - but as I still arrange a lot I update my music programs - and subscribe back-up program. Other programs are updated when I want the new features.

I wasn’t saying I thought Dorico should go to a subscription. I’m quite glad it hasn’t, and we’ve been told it never will. I don’t prefer subscriptions for any software…I’m just saying the subscriptions I do have don’t bother me as much as I thought they would.

Dan, have you looked at the Affinity range (£50 for Affinity Publisher) and Libre Office? Would save a ton of money.

2 Likes

I use Affinity Designer and love it. Publisher seems to not be quite ready, and I’m too heavily invested in InDesign, with lots of old projects.

Libre Office doesn’t correctly render some advanced OpenType features, so I can’t use it. Like this, for example:

There are literally only three programs I’ve found are able to render all of these features correctly: Dorico, Microsoft Word, and Acrobat.

I used to have InDesign and I loved it. I never had any issues. Unfortunately, my license was for an old version that couldn’t transfer to my new computer. I was sad to see it go. By-and-large I’ve gotten on just fine with AP, quirks and all. It’s not perfect, but for most people I suspect it will get them 99% of the way there.

1 Like

Have you raised this with the LibreOffice developers? I’m sure they would welcome your font expertise.

I’d expect with thousands of customers world wide they would be aware of the problem already.

It’s surprising how sloppy and inconsistent OpenType rendering can be. I don’t mean this as a criticism, since I’m sure it’s quite complicated. And some OpenType features are barely a few years old.

COLR fonts are particularly a problem. If InDesign can’t render it…

I’m just grateful your MusAnalysis font works fine for my needs in LibreWriter.
Thank you!

1 Like