Big problems with Dorico 3

traycross, this is not a bug. It’s a philosophical question, which has been discussed on this forum more than once.

For me transposing from e.g. A to Ab is transposing down an augmented unsion. But for Dorico and many people around the world this is a diminshed unsion.

So, if you choose a diminshed unison in the transpose menu, will get what you want.

Thanks for the data. I see quite a few messages of type “Product not activated”.
So the app is asking for a license check and does not get any answer from the eLicenser and therefore refuses to save.

You did not answer my question before, do you have the Dorico license on the USB eLicenser or on the Soft-eLicenser?
If you have it on the USB-elicenser, is the dongle plugged in all the time?

I have the USB-elicenser and it is plugged in all the time. I can save a project one time. After that, I get the error messages.

What licenses do you have on your USB dongle. Could you maybe post a screenshot of the eLicenser Control Center?
It is so strange that only saving fails in your case while everything else apparently runs fine, also Cubase.
So it can’t be a communication problem to the USB dongle. It must be a license issue, I suspect.

VEPro also works.

I don’t know, looks all fine to me. But if I were you I’d delete that expired HALion Symphonic Library Trial license. Maybe that one is irritating the eLicenser software when saving a project in Dorico.

There is no way to delete a license.

I went through the menus of the e-licenser and performed multiple tasks such as: Register all licenses at Steinberg, validate license usage period, and more. Dorico is now working. Hope it will continue. Can’t say which action did the trick.

Cool, let’s hope it stays that way. And if not, you know where to find us :wink:

Well, it’s not perfect. Sometimes when I save, I get an e-licenser error message. Usually only one. I close it and go about my business. Other times it’s the never ending circle. I have to go into activity monitor and delete VST audio engine. The reload Dorico.

Your case is really strange, I will talk to our eLicenser guys when I’m back to the office on Monday.

So I’ve talked to our eLicenser guys. We do have known issues with the communication to the USB-eLicenser, that they are currently trying to track down, but there is something unusual about your case:
If it is a USB communication problem, then any program should be affected, i.e. also with Cubase error messages are to be expected, but you say they only come for Dorico. Accordingly we are not sure what to think about it. Have you really tried the same hard with Cubase? Therefore please open Cubase, create a new project and then open and close repeatedly the MediaBay window, again and again. Does that also induce error messages.
If you want to help us further, we can provide you with some extra software that logs the eLicenser communication. The data that comes out could help us tracking the issue further down.

Another question, what kind of USB-eLicenser do you have, the long (5cm) or short (3.5cm) type? There is no guarantee, but the short type is known to make less trouble than the long one. We don’t sell the long ones anymore, only the short ones. You could try it out, if you are willing to spend the extra money (though I don’t know how much a USB-eLicenser costs these days.)

I have the long one. It’s 11 years old. Over the weekend, I purchased a new one. Should be here in a day or 2.

The dongle isn’t the problem. Having the same problem with the new one.

I’m really sorry to hear that. Then the only thing left I can offer is the mentioned extra logging software. That is no guarantee at all, but might help pinning down what exactly the problem is. Are you willing to install that? But you would need to wait until I return to the office on Monday that I can provide it to you.

Hopefully this will be my last post of this thread. Had no problems working with Dorico for several hours today. I forgot to do one thing when I transferred the licenses to the new dongle; remove the old dongle. Apparently, you can’t have an empty dongle connected.

Good morning, Ulf.

I’m having huge problems opening up Dorico again. The problem never really went away, but could be dealt with by opening Dorico up a couple of times. But today, six times later, I’m still not at work. It seems to be an e-licenser issue and its really annoying. When Dorico does open up, I get this message- “This project contains more players than this version of Dorico allows. It will open read-only, so you can play and print it but not edit it” I’ve got Dorico Pro and an ensemble if 14 people. Can you please help me with this?
Thanks in advance.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that. Seems like your license is not recognized properly, so Dorico now thinks it is a Dorico Elements instead of Pro. Do you have your license on the Soft-eLicenser or the USB-eLicenser? Try also to start up the eLicenser Control Center and leave it running. If you then start Dorico, still the same problem?

Thanks for your reply.
Yeah, it’s weird. Sometimes it boots up with no issues. Other times, I get several error messages and then it loads fine. Other times, once it loads, it gives me the “more players” message and then I need to restart. And sometimes the audio engine fails to load entirely.
I have my license on a USB dongle. I’ve tried different USB ports with similar results. I’ve upgraded to the latest elicenser control center and ran diagnostics. Same results. I’ve left CC up and running and get similar results. This morning, I had one fail to load audio engine, and then a regular load after the error messages.
I don’t really understand what it is.
Thanks for your assistance.

What type of USB-eLicenser do you have? The new, shorter one (about 3.5cm long) or the older type (about 5cm long)? The older ones are known to be unreliable, whereas the new type is much less likely to cause such trouble. We recommend that you get yourself a new type USB-eLicenser.

And the trick with first starting the eLicenser Control Center also does not work?