Big question. Migrating from Mac to Windows.

I’m not asking for any opinions on Mac vs. Windows – I’ve done a ton research and am probably going to go the Windows route in the next couple of months after years on Mac. The main reason is because I can get an exponentially more powerful computer for the same amount of money as a souped-up Mac Pro. I’m a composer and need a hugely powerful computer, and my aging 2013 Mac Pro can’t handle what I need anymore.

Here’s my specific question:

Would you recommend having a company build a Windows machine for me, or should I do it myself? Pros and cons to both?

I work on Cubase for a living and need as little downtime as possible, so I don’t have time for days/weeks of tinkering and fussing about building my own, but if it’s possible without too much hassle then I would be open to it. I’m technically-minded and could definitely do it.

Again, my need is for an incredibly powerful workstation that can support immense scoring and mixing sessions with VE Pro on the same computer. This is exactly what I do on my current Mac, but RAM is limited to 64 gig (which goes away fast when you’re composing) and the processor is old and can’t keep up with CPU power for plugins anymore in these big sessions.

Please note: VE Pro on a separate computer is not something I’m interested in or need at this time. My current Mac can handle that part of it just fine (it has VE Pro and Cubase running concurrently with pretty much no issues in that regard), it’s just that RAM runs out and the CPU can’t handle the high amount of plugins in Cubase, so instead of shelling out embarrassing amounts of cash for a Mac I want to give Windows a shot. A Hackintosh is not an option for me – I’ve done so much research and know that for a fact, so let’s leave that out of it. :slight_smile:

Thank you!

One thing to consider is the distance to the company that will build for you, both in terms of time (i.e. how long until you reach someone that can give you remote support) as well as physical distance (i.e. if you need to get your machine serviced physically how would that work).

One benefit with building yourself is knowing how to replace parts. After all, if you build it you can certainly replace parts should the need arise. So if the potential company doesn’t offer much in terms of support then you might be better off with an Amazon overnight or same-day delivery of replacement components and then just swapping yourself.

So that’s just something to consider.

But again though, you need to be comfortable with that and if stuff doesn’t work then you only have yourself to blame. I hear HP has great service on their workstations. Like same day on-site service or something like that, at least in specific areas.

Where are you located?

Thank you Matthias – good points. I’m located in Los Angeles. Very fast online support is very important for me, indeed. I’m very comfortable with replacing parts, etc. (I replaced the processor in my Mac Pro, actually – no easy task!).

If I were you then and if it was mission critical I’d consider buying. Personally I build because it’s normally not mission critical (though it will be this week), and I’d rather spend the extra dollars on more or better components than on the commercial builder’s profits.

But yeah, I’d seriously consider having someone with a great reputation build for you so you have someone to hold accountable etc.