Bit Off Topic , will in ear monitering make Wedge Moniters

Sorry for the Bit Off Topic , will in ear monitering make Wedge Monitors obsolete , may be not for studio recordings , but see many use them now for live performances … will be less feed backs on stage , n less gear to carry , any insights on this thanks ws

It’s a bit more expensive and involved to set up because ideally you need stereo sends from your mixer, and every musician will need his own pair of inears.
But I’ve played a number of gigs with inears and you can hear everything much better without having a monitor blaring in your face.
The only disadvantage I found is that it can be hard to communicate with other bandmembers. Good fitting Inears drastically reduce external sound sources so you can’t properly talk to eachother. Especially during rehearsal it got a bit tedious to pop out an earpiece just to hear what someone was saying. On stage this is less of a problem, although you still can’t really hear the audience (and I’m a drummer so I can’t always see the audience very well either, so it’s hard to tell how they feel :wink:)
I also found that the monitor mix sounded a bit clinical because you have no natural reverb whatsoever, so I would experiment with a bit of reverb on the aux busses if the mixer supports it.

Will it take over? Probably not entirely, just because of the cost to get it set up. A reliable wireless inear system is expensive, as is a mixer that has that many stereo auxes to supply everyone with a personal stereo monitor mix. For venues/bands with a limited budget it’s easier and cheaper to use floor monitors. For instance, I don’t see my church move to inear monitoring anytime soon. And let’s be honest, if the sound engineer knows what he’s doing, bleeding and feedback aren’t a dealbreaker.

Sidenote: I played a couple of gigs where I was using inears and the other musicians had monitors. There was no wireless system available but as a drummer I didn’t mind being stuck to a wire. However, you probably know how painful loud feedback can be. Trust me, if you’re getting that through your inears it’s even worse. So if you make the switch to inears, make sure the whole band switches, or make sure you have instant access to a volume control :wink:

Thanks , Strophoid thats was excellent Info , how about an one ear only , in ear system , and a bleed in foot knob ,that allows for onstage bleeds and crowd feed backs , sure there must be some these type designs out there , i never used one , nor have one , but seen some info online that @least they do have a quick volume knob on the wireless unit on ones belt … as far as mix , as a solo guy right now , i would like to hear exactly what the PA ( FOH) audience hears…and may be have my solo lines boosted up by a routing thru a volume pedal , to my in ear , though i dread to think how ill do that kinda of routing … thanks ws

We did actually have ambience mics for crowd feedback, but because there is no crowd during soundcheck it was usually much too low in the monitor mix. But yeah, that should work if set up correctly. I don’t know about 1 ear systems, never seen them but I guess that would work too.

As for routing, I personally used a small mixer to which I routed my drumkit and my monitor mix, so I could independently set my own levels. I was using an electronic drumkit with several independant outputs though, so I could just give myself a stereo mix, and have outputs left for the FOH. That wouldn’t work for most instruments, unless you split the signal somehow.

this should work out , Personally I would prefer the FOH get the best Stereo Out , with Live panning n all , but thanks for the Info … best wishes ws