Black Eyed Pea's taking musical break

Ironic how you slag us for the terrible crime of slagging a silly music group :unamused:

And the fact that we’re doing it right here in this thread shows that we DO in fact have the right to slag them and you can’t shut us up

Sure you can – guys like Zappa had long careers doing just that :laughing:

They are ‘unique’

… too bad there are sooo many ‘unique’ ones… so they become the blue balls and regular people now become the unique …

Just thought I would pop in and say that I’d rather talk (post) about music groups that are doing great work. (Far more interesting and positive.) That positive sh1t goes much further than all this negative stuff. Could change your mixing and writing for the better though I know what people like is very personal.

Speaking of commercial… I just had a commercial (KIA Motors) recorded here air on 93.3 WMMR today. Yay for me!

Kias suck too, right? Riiiiight! :laughing:

Whatever floats yer boat

I prefer talking about things I like.

Congrats, Woodcrest - that is wonderful!!!

I think the lyrical content will seem fairly puerile to those who wish not to participate in the ‘celebration’ of its message.

The message of the music (AND the vid), although seemingly puerile, dear brother Phil, is a message not unlike that which Louie Armstrong in the 1920’s delivered when he was doing his thing - that “no matter how messed up things might seem, everything’s gonna be okay.” The message: hope.

That’s one old show business/entertainment formula… except communicated in a new generation’s modernistic style, using new instruments, new technology, new terminology - where the overall message is one of hope (for those ‘get it’ and wish to celebrate. Those who knew better back in the day put down Louie Armstrong (and jazz).

btw, while I’m not particularly a fan of the Black-Eyed Peas musically… I’m also not qualified to diminish what they do. Besides, with the fairly large following they have, all those people can’t possibly be wrong. :laughing:

Come now… a lyric about “partying” = “hope?”

Kind of a stretch if you ask me.

(Not that there’s anything wrong with a lyric about “partying” mind you)

No. The hope as a result of having a “feeling tonight is gonna be a good night.”

Think of it as attending a tailgate party and in spite of the presence of Dixieland music, there’s a hope that it’s still gonna be a good tailgate party.

What? I’m confused. :confused:

Quack, Quack. :arrow_right:

not so long ago we had a political party run by a dynamic leader with a strange mustache who seemingly enjoyed the cultish following around him…Let me assure you, millions of people can be terribly wrong!

schöne Grüße aus good old Germany

Otherwise I keep it with the Woodcrest studio guy. Why bother with the TOP 40 of which 99% is and has always been trash?
Things are different when someone is posting his own song here in the forum.
Although I may have a different taste and often cannot relate to the song, I can see the work put into it & that deserves respect. I remember, only once I have made a rather derogatory comment on a song by a guy who posted for the first time. You know, the “give it a listen - buy the CD” thing.
Most of the critical comments I`ve read here regarding a song of a forum member are very constructive, benevolent & I appreciate that, folks.

+1

As the Beatles said “Give [peas] a chance !”

:laughing:

It’s not just about disagreeing, but finally speaking up against someone repeatedly putting down others who aren’t present to defend themselves.

Who’s gonna be next for you to dis? Don’t forget to include images of you from back in the 80’s. :laughing: :unamused:

Okay, I can see that, if your ambition on any given night is to get crazy and hopefully get laid :laughing:

But that’s a far cry from the “hope” as represented in “We Shall Overcome” or “Imagine”

“Where Is the Love” and “Meet Me Halfway” were okay – I bought both of those tunes. But most of the rest is garbage. Did anybody hear their bastardized version of “Time of Our Lives” (the theme song from “Dirty Dancing”)? Perhaps the worst cover of a tune I’ve ever heard. I don’t even see it offered for sale on iTunes, it’s so bad

Not bothered about the message aspect Tony, fine to have hope. No probs :sunglasses:
The delivery is abysmal, the content is puerile (as in childish) and the music is nigh non-existent in the creative department. I was more interested in the quality (or lack of it) with my comments. Hope that explains my standpoint on this :sunglasses:

Looks like the peas are not gonna record for a while which gives most of us hope :laughing: Maybe they’ve gone off to study music and poetry. One never knows…

Yeah, you just might have to think outside your box on that one… OTOH actually, perhaps invoke a return to the mind-set of your inner child to comprehend a natural willfulness to engage in playfulness and ‘puerile’ partying…

Ya gotta be careful not to accidentally cut yourself off from returning to being a judgemental, cranky old fart who isn’t hip to what new music can do for younger people (like old school, closed-minded, and full of parental disapproval). :wink: :laughing:

Phil, perhaps they should do what you’re doing. How’s your new CD coming along?

The Dome is done and out there Tony. I’m working on 2 more at the moment and I’m in a total state of confusion :laughing:
One’s some kind of Planets suite, the other is ye olde worlde kickass rock album that may finish with a 17 minute prog rock piece. Just gotta record the geetars on the latter then I can “attempt” to mix it :sunglasses:

You still got regular gigs there in Seattle?

I’m taking a break from “regular” gigs (are there any gigs that can be classified as regular?) I’ve been asked to play at a couple things, both this coming Saturday @ noon and later on in the evening. I really don’t have an itch to play live at the moment - I’m actually waiting become inspired to get into a ‘writing mode’ and finally do something which will include some kind of original lyrical content/vocal work… but I’m just not operating on that side of the brain at the moment (hence all this time in forums :laughing: ).

I’ve yet to complete a remake of a tune on which Lenny Lee (who sings great!) and Joe Wilke (guitar) have graciously collaborated with me. I’d like to change some of the voices in that remake to include sounds from the new XF8.

It comes in cycles and I think towards the end of summer I’ll consider looking forward to doing a ‘regular gig.’