Blank GUI Central

Thanks, Lukas.

Yes, the problem is indeed due to RAM usage getting too high.

Yeah, I’m almost certain J-Bridging would stave off the issue for a while.

I might consider it, after all. Not sure yet.

Can you use J-Bridge with 64-bit versions of the plugins? If so, I might try it.

Yes, you can.

Hmm… I don’t see how to do this. I see you can bridge 32bit plugins to 64bit hosts… 64 to 32bit hosts… 32 to 32bit hosts… but not 64bit plugins to 64bit hosts.

A quick, silly question: “Large” projects meaning RAM usage when the project is loaded and running? Or does it mean a large amount of audio data, or a large number of plugins loaded?
I’m asking because my basic template is 22 GB in RAM before I’ve recorded a single audio or MIDI track, and I’m not seeing any of these issues.
I’m actually using the internal bridge for 32bit instruments, but am relatively conservative with plugin count in inserts.
My RAM usage comes mostly from the VSTi’s libraries loaded up.

Thx,
Benji

Yes, large RAM usage. I think it’s probably RAM usage via plugin-count.

I think the 32bit bridge spares you, as well, as it gets to enjoy its own protected memory / resource space (probably).

Wow, 22GB and no blank GUI issues. Are any of the plugins you’re using, and not having problems with, from Waves, Softube or iZotope?

If not, then you may be dodging the bullet in that way, too. I do have many plugins from other vendors I can use without issue in my trouble project.

Perhaps it has more to do with raw plugin counts (and the resources they use) rather than simply a memory usage issue. In other words, maybe sample libraries don’t trigger the issue.

This would make sense, as I know that at least Waves have admitted that certain plugin counts (I forget the number they told me; it was like 60 or 80 or something) would cause the issue. It was something GUI related, I think.

And I did indeed have more than 60ish Waves instances.

Don’t ask… :laughing:

I didn’t have over 60 instances of Softube and iZoptope, however, and their GUIs will not open reliably in this project – unless I go on a plugin removing (in the insert slots) rampage. The reclaimed resources (or something) allows the GUIs to open again. And it’s never a RAM issue, as I have 16 GB and the Cubase project never gets past around 10GB when I do this.

Cheers.

Jal,
no, I’m not using any Waves, Izotope or Softube plugins, I use only UA, Synthogy, EWQL and Kontakt so far.
B.

The blank GUIs I’m experiencing in Cubase, for Waves plugins at least, continues unabated with the new Waves 9r27 update, I’m sad to report.

And in this case, “blank GUI” means no GUI at all.

Open plugin and … nothing.

Even a crash would be welcome, at this point.

My patience with Cubase is wearing thin.

Hello,

Experiencing same thing here.

I am currently mooving my main work computer from a Macbook pro to racked daw.
i spend the last 3 week mainly installing, debugging.
this GUI bug is the last problem remaining… Quite a BIG one.

On C5 / Win 7 / MBpro, when it reached the 2,7 / 2,8Gb limit (max ram cubase can use)
i cannot add more plugin and C5 start getting unstable including not showing plugin GUI.
At least in C8 the project don’t became unstable and crash :wink:

Note on my MBP, i am currently working with the onboard graphic chipset also
(as the video card fried - late 2011 MBP known issue)

BUT
on C8 / W8 / Rack Daw : i also experience the blank GUI on project wayyy under this RAM limit and even with very little memory usage ( like 2 vst and 4 audio tracks… ) ?
Plugin work, i can edit via the “swith to generic editor” but this is not enought in a lot of case to make things workable.

Problem with VST2 and VST3 : Wave9r30, Flabfilter
NO trouble with : Sonox / NI / Ik multmed / Brnwrx / Blucat…

Any solution found ?
Any graphic card known to work to recommend ?

I will try j bridge as suggested, and see if graphic processor memory setting helps

Sorry for being vague, but I have seen this problem mentioned in the forum before, Cubase 7 part somewhere.
The solution AFAIK was a switch that could be set.
If the folder does not exist, you have to create it.

C:\ProgramData\Waves Audio

Inside the folder create a empty file called

no_context_sharing.txt

Don’t now if it helps, but worth a try, updating the gfx driver may also help, if it’s still OpenGL that waves a struggling with.

Thank you Peakae

This (txt file) isn’t working for me - either on 9r25 or 9r30

My computer is one month old and motherboard graphic chipset is some of the latest Intel’s :
Intel HD Graphics 530 / 1Gb Dedicated Ram
Open GL 4.4 / Open CL 2.0 / DirectX 11.2

I’m updating the drivers

No luck updating drivers.

I also tried increased shared memory for the graphic chipset > didn’t work

a solution for some users seems to be changing color depth to 16bit in the graphic card setting,
but it is not to be possible with Intel HD530 (only 32 bits)

I have luck sometimes with opening / closing the plugin (editor) until GUI shows up

but it make Cubase crash (is it cause or effect ?)
Very bad crash i usually i have warning like
“automatic save couldn’t be done because project is corrupted”
then
1/ i cannot save under another name / impossible to save (!!)
2/ last backup is corrupted

hopefully (!!) i have crash today which generates a crash report :slight_smile:

i’ll search where to find the file / how to send it @ steinberg.

NB : all my plugins are the same on the two comp and are running fine with C5 / Win 7
i’ve been using this config for the last two years everyday. only problems where when i was reaching memory limit

Also didn’t work with Melda Plugins

as they are resizable i can see that the GUI is here but not in front of the window (if that make sense ?)
So when i resize the widow i can see some part of GUI but as long as i close & re_open plugin editor window,
GUI stays blank…

A LOT of users had those troubles / anyone can help here ?

So far, on a clean new machine i have :
Waves / Fabfilter / Melda not working with Cubase because of Blank GUI bug (empty / black plugin GUI)

After a lot of reading and searching :
The two solutions i found was :

• txt file (cf posts before) > NOT WORKING (althought i found that file should end with “.txt.”
    windows seems to get rid of that final dot anytime / anyway i try to add it…
  • videocard running in 16bit color mode > NOT POSSIBLE ON INTEL HD530 SKYLAKE (newer) GRAPHIC DRIVERS

Tried those compatibility options in windows
(go to cubase8.5.exe > right click > properties > compatibility)

• reduced colour mode to 16bits > NOT WORKING
  • disable display scaling on high DPI settings > NOT WORKING

I’m running without asio guard activated

Test in cubase 64bits > so far with 96 “problematic” plugins > NO TROUBLE
Test in ableton Live > 32 & 64 bits > NO TROUBLE

This bug seems related to the way cubase 8.5 32bits handle graphic memory…

Any suggestion ?

thinking about buying a passive non Intel video card as last solution
/ any recommandation ?

NOTE : i also another graphic related bug i’m about to submit >
when opening channel editor, i cannot scroll right and left throught the “channel strip” and “EQ”
so i have no access to half the parameters
Maybe they are linked ?

no graphic bug thread is complete without pictures…

This clearly an Intel Skylake - Asus Z170 // Cubase 8.5 related BUG

Is there anyone here have any suggestions ?

Tried this >

Windows:
GOTO: Registry Editor.
Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\FabFilter. <<<<— or other vst name of choice
Right-click and select New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
Name it GraphicsAcceleration and ensure its value is set to 0.

No Luck !

WHen i’m lucky i got this >>>

I have just purchased a number of Waves plugins starting with the Abbey Road Plates. I have had no real issues with them. I did have one instance with a Maserati plugin the went blank, but I minimised and restored and that was that.Given this I am interested as to why you blame Cubase/Steinberg for this problem, as it is clearly not universal.

I have to confess that I have taken no interest in the Waves issues with Cubase until my purchases. I might add that I also have absolutely no issue with FabFilter either.

hi

you are quoting a user which is not me :slight_smile:

i am not blaming Steinberg
obviously it a windows // intel drivers // Cubase issue
(see previous post, no trouble in Ableton live 32b with more than 96 problematic plugins)

not so many people have DAW with Z170 / i7 6700K
and using only the intel 530 integrated chipset because it is new,

the open > blank , close then re-open > GUI ok
i have this behaviour also,
but when i add more plugs, then no more GUI / impossible to get GUI back by open/close cycles

would you mind trying adding 96 wave plugins on track with audio
(in case the VST3 desactivate processing when no audio on track could interfere)
and tell me what happens ?

i wish someone from steinberg and/or more technically aware than me point me in the right direction to try things to solve this.

I could go all 64 bits, but for the moment i also have trouble with Jbridge (everything is fine exept some plugins loose their settings when opening 32b sessions in C64… and i have so much material in 32bits projects i can’t let go.)

By the way, do you have any suggestion ?

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=226&t=95036&p=527638#p527638

Hi all,

I am having similar problems in a pure 64 bit Windows 10 Pro Environment running Cubase 8.5.20 (and in the latest Reaper also). At least Waves (VST3 x64), Arturia (VST3 x64) and FabFilter are showing blank GUIs (on secondary displays, see below). I think it is related to OpenGL because these plug-ins seem to make use of OpenGL while others do not. I searched the web a lot but could not find any solution. I am using two AMD W4100 graphic adapters, and tried a PNY NVS 810 (NVIDIA) yesterday. Problems remain the same. For me, the blank GUI is always freezing the system, so actually it is kind of a crash. I have to kill Cubase manually. (BTW, I have also problems shutting down and/or killing Cubase sometimes. It leaves a Cubase process in the task manager and this process cannot be killed, not even by way of kill process instructions in a console with adminstrator rights, so I have to restart the computer completely to be able to start Cubase anew)

I am running the latest versions of all drivers (which should support OpenGL 4.x), Win10 is up-to-date etc.

I am using several displays with the graphic cards mentioned above, and actually there is a simple but not very funny workaround: Everything works perfectly fine on the Windows primary display. I can open plug-ins, they are showing GUI, I can also drag the plug-in window to one of the secondary displays, but when I close and re-open on the secondary display, it freezes. So in this situation, I would have to change the primary display in Windows graphics properties, restart Cubase, re-open the plug-in which is then on the (now) primary display, drag it back to the (now) secondary display, close, change the primary display again in Windows graphics properties, and then I can open it on the (original) primary display. I searched the web for any kind of OpenGL update or bugfix or library or similar, but I could not find anything.

I should add that my displays are not in a perfect matrix, i.e. imagine something like one display on top of the left of two other displays. This means that a rectangle comprising all displays has a large number of pixels, but only part of them are “accessible”.

Everything used to work on my old Win 8.1 machine, same graphics adapters (W4100), but older Win 8 drivers (which do not work in Win10).

Cubase itself and many other plug-ins works without problems on all displays, so I assume they do not use OpenGL (?).

Maybe somebody had/has a similar problem…

I am using the AMD firepro w4100 video card as previous poster. I drive two 4k monitors and third monitor at 1080p.

I had this issue with Izotope NEutron and also worked with their tech support but had no success. What I determined was that on some of my larger cubase projects Neutron would’t load at all on the inserts or the gui would open but wouldn’t populate with any image. It appeared to me that the problem was more evident if I had already had an effect in that slot and then deleted it to replace with Neutron. I am speculating here but the problem seems more frequent if the deleted effect had a corresponding automation and had been moved around in the insert slots .

I found that if I created another audio track from scratch I could get neutron to load on that channel and in some cases it would allow me to drag that instantiation across to the actual track where I wanted Neutron to open which had previously failed. Perhaps this workaround will help you.

Recently I have begun to reduce my larger projects to stems. Starting fresh seems to cure the loading issues… it is again a workaround but I have had to go there.

I should point out that the problem is not limited to Neutron and I have used the same workaround for some Waves and plugin-alliance plugins. I have a lot of RAM and CPU headroom available when this occurs as I monitor this closely when any workflow issues occur in Cubase. I run 32 gigs of Ram and a 12 core rig on Windows 7 64 bit.