Blues For Lucian

Masterful piece Early, great work!

Very much appreciated!

Sure, Bob, haven’t done it via the interweb before, but if you’re looking for an electric guitar track (I am assuming) and you’ve listened to all my stuff and are still interested, I’d be happy to help. I do have a dropbox account, and I can even read music (at a very slow pace). Just let me know.

A fantastic composition. Nice work throughout.

I think the guitar and ep are a few dB louder than necessary :confused: .

I’d like to hear the whole track a lot dirtier too.

But this is excellent stuff.

Jet, thanks for listening, appreciate the comments. I was also thinking it sounded too clean, especially in that first guitar solo bit. I wanted it to sound like a small blues club. I actually got out my strat, connected it to an amp, recorded the electrical hum, and tried mixing that in for effect. I couldn’t seem to get it right… as soon as you can actually hear it, it’s too loud! Is that the sort of thing you mean by dirtier? Or are you thinking about something else? Would appreciate any ideas. Thanks again.

Funny you say the small club thing, because as I listened last night
I thought “This could be a little combo in a club”…so I think some
elements are already suggesting that concept.

As to warmth, I was thinking more the whole mix rather than just the geet,
maybe run it through a warmer or just de-hifi the top end a little?

Thanks, that gives me something to go on. I am using a “warmer” plugin as a master insert (Tls Saturated Driver – free one), maybe not enough overall. I was actually looking for a “smoky” plug, couldn’t find one!

If ya send me a disc I’ll blow Habanos all over it,
might help? I could also take it on a rickshaw ride
and get some coolie sweat on it too. But that
would cost. :wink:

You’re thinking Habanos? I’m thinking more Gitanes… less density in the lows.

I remember this one. Sounds great – nice and open and live, but not too brite or excessively EQ’d – good job. The incredibly tasteful playing doesn’t hurt either. :laughing: Is that a Gibson ES-335? Sounds like a hollow-body anyway

Nice tune :sunglasses:

Thank you, Doug, for giving it a listen. Somebody remembers it! The guitar is a Les Paul Studio on this one; picked it up in December. Thought about using the ES335, as I did originally, but the Les Paul is still new in my hands so I have to play it on everything!

Most enjoyable.

The git starting at 2:00 - a touch of genius!!

Ari

Thanks for listening, Ari. Very kind words. Played it over and over and finally realized it would work better if I played it in a laid back way. One more big advantage of digital over tape… digital never wears out!

I like it. As a drummer, I could not tell at all these were VST drums. You are saying you used NI? Native instruments drum vst?

Looks like I need that.

Like the accents and grooviness. Good stuff man.

That is effing beautiful, wish i could produce my stuff as clear and precise as that, guitar playing is on another planet, just loved it, you have been kind enough to comment on 1or 2 of my songs ( was called nivek but changed my forum name to shadowfax ) and from now on will consider it an honour if you comment on anything i do…great stuff

Thanks MRD, this is the new Studio Drummer from NI. It came with the Komplete 8 upgrade. I had given up on Superior Drummer Avatar Kit (although some here are doing extremely well with it - check out Onkel Grusom’s recent Runaway post - he’s really good with this stuff… also used by Scab Pickens and I guess many others). I just couldn’t get Superior to sound good to me, even though I gave it a year.

Was looking into Steven Slate (another one people are getting great results with - listen to Ian Rushton’s latest stuff) but then ran across the demos for this, and decided to do the Komplete 8 upgrade.

I really like the sounds, and had fun programming. I was doing my best to emulate some of the fills our real drummer does on this piece. Lately he’s been unavailable, unfortunately (but you can hear him on “Perky Moms” further down my list).

I’ll just mention that the performance of this VSTi is not very good yet. My machine is a strong performer, but Studio Drummer will cause ASIO overloads at low latency – much tougher on the CPU than Superior. So after setting up the drums, I had to freeze it in order to track the guitar.

Thanks for listening, Kevin, appreciate the comments. Just another amateur here, so take my comments as those of a listener with fresh ears. Good if we can help each other! Have you named yourself in honor of the band Shadowfax? Love those guys!

Didn’t know there was a band called Shadowfax…I was thinking of the mythical horse…

Nice one, Early! :sunglasses:
Thought the guitar work was :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:
I agree that it sound a little on the clean side, but, pfff, sounds great! :wink:

Sav

Thanks, Sav. Appreciate you giving it a listen. You had same comment as Jet (too clean), which I’m thinking about how to handle… another friend also made a similar comment.

I’m gradually learning, but I think the answer is to turn up the gain on the tube warmer plugin I’m using on the master buss, to make it a little more distorted overall. Gave it a try and it seems to help. Funny how that works, if it’s too accurate, it’s missing something!

What do others use to get that sound? My master buss sequence is the tube simulator (TLS Saturated Driver), followed by a mild compressor, then Ozone 5 where I use the equalizer, multiband compressor (really afraid of that one so I make sure it doesn’t do much), and the maximizer. The maximizer has dither in it as well. Should it be compressor first?

Appreciate the help!