Boomwhacker colored noteheads?

Hello Daniel,

Do you mean we can do a set of coloured noteheads which is different than the Boowhacker one ?

Or is it simply not possible to design a colored pitched noteheads set as you did with the Figuresnote ?

Thank you in advance for your input.

Eric

It’s not possible for you as a user of Dorico to create a set of noteheads that is coloured in the way that the built-in Figurenotes set is coloured. You can of course filter notes by pitch and then apply colours manually via the Properties panel if you wish.

1 Like

Thank you for your answer.

In my case, I use coloured noteheads to make my music reading/composing easier.

I could use the Pitch Name Noteheads which writes automatically and dynamically the letter inside the noteheads.
But with an orchestra score with more than 15 staves, in a page view, the tiny letters are less readable than a single touch of colour…

Best regards.

In another post I asked about colored noteheads there is a mention it is possible the create notehead sets since 2.1
Is there somebody who already has created notehead sets?
Any tips how to do it in a simple way?

Kind Regards, Johan

Here I’m back,

Nobody has answered yet my question about creating notehead sets (dorico 3.5) in order to create colored noteheads.
What does that mean?

I asked a very stupid question?
It is not possible to create notehead sets?
Nobody has done it yet?

Hope it was not the first one.

Kind regards,
Johan

It’s possible to edit the existing Figurenotes Noteheads in Engrave > Notehead Sets, or to duplicate it, make copies of the individual noteheads and edit those, or to take the existing noteheads and reassign their pitches.

Quick demo to show that it’s possible:

If you wanted to use a whole bunch of different colours that aren’t already assigned to Figurenotes noteheads, you’d need to build graphics outside of Dorico that are exactly the right shape and size - Dorico doesn’t have the functionality to choose a colour and mask it automatically to the correct shape.

I’m not quite sure what you want by way of “tips” - have you read the documentation here and here?

1 Like

Please don’t bump threads, Johan. I know it can be frustrating that you don’t receive a quick enough reply to your enquiry, but you can be sure that we’re not ignoring you.

Unfortunately at the moment it’s not practical to create your own coloured notehead sets in Dorico, because the notehead editor doesn’t allow you to define the colours of glyphs that you add; this is something that the program can do (as evidenced by the Figurenotes notehead set), but this functionality is not at present exposed in the user interface. However, we’ll try and take care of this in the near future.

Hello,

Thanks Daniel for the info.
Sorry for the bump.

To Pianoleo: I already tried experimenting with the engrave settings but could not create a working set. Thank you.

Kind regards, Johan

In the Engrave mode menu you can gain access to this screen:

Double clicking on a notehead will give you access to the edit screen for that notehead. You would have to change/create a glyph in the color you want (based on your analysis of the corresponding Boomwhacker note) to replace the glyph in this set (or in a parallel set).

It looks like a lot of work. So likely you will have to do it yourself or wait until Dorico gets permission to produce a Boomwhacker-compatible set of its own.

What is the progress on this, please? Other notation software has BW colours built in - this is certainly a desired (needed, in fact, in music Ed) feature and I can’t find anything anywhere about it.

To use BoomWhackers colors (and promote them as such) Dorico would have to have a license from BW, which may be too expensive or even impossible to obtain.

You’ve said that for several years. How do the others do it, then? This is a feature in other notation software and it must be possible.

Who has said (for several years)? I don’t think @Derrek has any association with Steinberg (and neither do I). We are just lurkers on this forum.

Though, personally, I think the use of note colours (BW or otherwise) infantilises music education and discriminates against those who are colour-blind.

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

I guess we shouldn’t have colored paintings then. In fact, why play music at all when there are people who are deaf?

1 Like

Don’t get me started.

1. If you are at all interested in disability and/or deaf peoples’ response to music, look no further than Rose Ayling-Ellis’s journey on (UK’s) Strictly Come Dancing. Or Evelyn Glennie’s extraordinary career. Or perhaps hold a séance and ask Ludwig…
  2. BoomWhackers’ elision of colour with pitch is a wholly arbitrary and cynical commercial enterprise, which should not be encouraged. Consider the cognitive dissonance caused to those with synaesthesia by being forced to associate pitch with colour.
  3. And not least, how are the very many blind musicians expected to relate and not feel excluded?
1 Like

It hardly seems appropriate to neuter everything down to the lowest common denominator just because there are a very small number of people who are atypical for one reason or another. How many musicians really have synesthesia? In all seriousness? It has to be exceedingly rare. And for them, perhaps this system will be more a hindrance than a help. But for the countless other children out there that some underpaid music Ed teacher is trying to get excited about music? Should they be deprived of an educational method because there are a handful of synesthetes somewhere?

Blindness is by no means “rare” but if we are going to ban BW because the blind can’t see the colors, we should ban sheet music too. Do you see how absurd this reductive approach is? Where do you draw the line? And BW’s color scheme is arbitrary. So what? So are shape noteheads in old hymnals. So are many other things (or even if they aren’t ‘arbitrary’ now, they certainly started that way).

I’m not meaning to be insensitive AT ALL. But we need to face the reality that it’s ok for things like this to exist even if they aren’t for everyone. The better solution to banning BW colors is to help devise a way for your color blind student to cope/participate. Mark them with special symbols or letters, for instance. It’s better to help them and teach them skills so they can adapt to real life and thrive in their lived reality. It’s not to ban colors.

Did you run a search outside Dorico, Jan? I found these with a quick search:
Musescore

(You might have success with exporting the music xml from Dorico into Musescore if you have already prepared your music)
Flat

Asking at a music teacher forum may help you also.
:slight_smile:

Yes, I am able to do the coloured noteheads in other notation software no problem - I think it should also be an option in Dorico but can’t find how to deliberately change the colours of the noteheads. They have another system, which I assume is also a brand, but not BW. I have students who access music better with the coloured notes and would like the option, which has been there for many years in other software. Even if I have to manually make a set, that’s fine but I can’t find how. The screenshot from 2020 doesn’t reflect Dorico 4 as far as I can tell.

My error re Derrek being from Steinberg. Yes I’m infantilising it (for infants) and also have had some dyslexic students who can engage better with a coloured option. They are not forced, the black and white (or grey which is offered in the current Dorico colour set) skips around on the page for them and makes no sense. I teach large groups for short periods of time and use anything I can to enable them to engage and make music. The brighter colours in the BW set work better, and I’d like the option of choosing whatever colour I want, that’s all.

1 Like

@jan.ruscoe
I answered your question on the other place you posted about this exact same issue.

1 Like