Bouncing Individual Stems with Sends Included - Possible?

Hi,

I have my composition/mixing template setup with a number of fixed reverbs and delays that I send various instruments to. So “Short Reverb” might recieve a send from vocal, bass and a synth for example.

I write a lot of production music for TV and so always have to bounce out individual stems at the end of a project.

Companies always want the stems to have their send FX/reverbs/delays included as part of the stem so they can rebuild songs with indivudal parts if needed.

When I do batch export all the channels export individually but the send FX aren’t included - is there a quick way to export stems to include their sends?

At the moment I have to solo tracks and individually export tracks through the stereo out in real-time which is hugely time-consuming.

Thank you!

bump, I am looking for a way for this too if anybody has a suggestion…

Yes, this is pretty easy to do.

Create a group track for each “stem” you want.

1 for strings, 1 for brass, 1 for percussion etc.

Then route all relevant instruments through the appropriate group track. You then have to create a reverb for each group. So you’ll have a strings verb and a brass verb etc. these will route to the corresponding group tracks.

Once all of that is setup you can “channel batch” export offline. And print all your stems in one go.

Render in place/complete signal path includes send FX.
Just save project, rip all tracks in one go then go find the files you just created and move them out the audio folder.
Revert to the last saved project and you’re back as you were but with stems in hand.

bump, also looking for a simple solution for this.

creating multiple send returns for each group is not a simple solution.
is it possible to render in place groups? i don’t think so.

what i have to do all all the time is to mute all other tracks, so i don’t have anything going to the sends.

Well, you need look no further than Grim’s post, directly above yours. :slight_smile:

how can I render in place a group?

Like Grim said, open the Render in Place settings window and pick the “Complete Signal Path” setting. This will include the effects and settings of all sends and group tracks connected to the rendered track.

“Complete Signal Path + Master FX” also includes Master Bus effects if needed.

I get that it seems like a lot of work, especially retroactively. But if you setup your template that way it’s very simple. I write for TV and delivery 30-40 stems a week. Whenever I’m done writing a piece of music, I go to the export window select my groups and offline bounce. It’s very convenient and takes all of 30 seconds because everything is already routed. And as far as I’ve seen, no other DAW does it that smoothly.

Having a different set of sends for each group is what I do. It’s definitely a time saver being able to batch export the stems once you have this set up.

I use the mix console 1 for 8 VCAs linked to my 8 stems. I can add in some final automation with faders using my P6 controller to VCAs. The VCAs stay ‘hard wired’ to the 8 faders because there are no other tracks in mix console 1. I use mix console 2 as my main mixer.

I know I can include all FX in the chain when I render in place, that’s not the point.
Let’s say I have 3 groups (e.g. vox, drums, synths) - these should be my stems. There are numerous single vox tracks routed into my vox group. How can I render in place the vox group (so all 8 vox tracks are included). I don’t think this is possible since you can only render in place clips but not buses/groups, right?

If I render in place all the single tracks my mix is messed up if I have inserts in the group…

[/quote]

I get that it seems like a lot of work, especially retroactively. But if you setup your template that way it’s very simple. I write for TV and delivery 30-40 stems a week. Whenever I’m done writing a piece of music, I go to the export window select my groups and offline bounce. It’s very convenient and takes all of 30 seconds because everything is already routed. And as far as I’ve seen, no other DAW does it that smoothly.
[/quote]

yes this seems like a good solution if you stick to the same send FX. in my case, i always change them in the creative process - add delays, let reverb sends be sidechained by drums or some other stuff. So I mess around with them until the end. That’s probably my own problem then :confused:

If you tick “Mix Down to one Audio File”, all of the selected tracks are played at the same time and rendered to a single track. This will allow any kind of bus compression or saturation/distortion to work like it should for example, retaining your mix’s balance. This is basically the same as rendering the group track itself.

Note that it’s possible to use Render in Place without any events selected. This gives you a few more options like the ability to disable the original track to save CPU.

oh that’s great, I didn’t know that! Thank you! I guess that’s the solution then…