"Brain Pain" (Scab's Boogie Revisited)

With vocals this time!

This is the current version of the first tune I ever had the guts to post in Made with Cubase. I’m going for kind of a live half drunk fully sloppy bar band kind of vibe :confused: . My experience with recording/processing vocals is pretty much non-existent so I’m looking for some feedback in that area particularly. Lay it on me. I can take a fair amount of abuse :stuck_out_tongue: . As always, general comments on the mix would also be appreciated.

Scott

http://soundcloud.com/scab-pickens/brain-pain

man I’m lovin this, takes me back to goin to david wilcox concerts. maybe the slide can come up in spots but I’m diggin it. great lyrics to man.
really cool tune

Thanks, Bob! I’m glad you like it. I wasn’t familiar with David Wilcox but I just checked out a few videos on YouTube. The dude rocks, man (I’m assuming you’re referring to the Canadian one). That’s definitely the kind of style I’m going for.

As far as the slide guitar levels go - that’s probably the thing I was having the hardest time getting to sit how I wanted in the mix. I might have to go back and do a little more tweaking on that.

Really like this tune also, great lyrics

Thanks a lot, Kenny!

You definitely captured that live feel. I think the singing sounds like it’s live in a bar, maybe even some alcohol applied. Nice work.

yup, thats the one, I hear alot of similarities in your style. back in the late 80’s when I was in the construction union, wilcox was kind of part of the movement up here. he did alot of songs about the workerin man and construction sites, like " layin pipe" and stuff. theres a cd I picked up a while ago called an hour with david wilcox, it still gets alot of plays up at the summer cottage…with beer in hand.

Thanks for checking it out, Early. It seems from the responses I’ve achieved the general sound I was going for.

Believe it or not, no alcohol was involved in the recording of the vocal. I can’t say the same about the guitars and bass, though :smiley: .

I see I commented on Soundcloud but not here. I think it’s fab Scab :sunglasses:

Thanks, Strophoid!

Hi Scott

No need to be worried, it sounds good to me. You’ve caught that vibe very well. :sunglasses:

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, Dave!

Hey Scott. I’m not sure that you succeeded in capturing the ‘half drunk, fully sloppy bar band"
thing. First thing is - the applause track is far too polite. You need more hootin’, hollerin’ and cussin’ goin’ on! :laughing:

Also, I don’t think it’s all that sloppy. Sounds pretty good to me. It does have a live feel. If anything, the vocal
is a little dry for a live recording - you may want to add a bit of delay or something.
Good performances, though. Nice work.

Lenny

:laughing: Yeah, I probably should try to find something a little more along those lines. I was kind of thinking the same thing!

Thanks a lot for the comments, Lenny.