Brass sometimes shows chords, sometimes not

Hi,

in my score, the saxophone shows chords, the trumpet does not.
Is there an option ti set this by default?

Best Regards

Ingo

Yes, use the right-click menu for the player in the Players panel in Setup mode.

Ingo, have you tried searching for the answers to any of these questions either in the documentation or on Google? If you search for “show chord symbols for player dorico” in Google you’ll get taken right to the pages you need, e.g. this one.

Ingo, if you are talking about setting this up on a multi-document basis, you may want to set up a quasi template file after adjusting the configuration as Daniel suggests.

Hi Daniel,

yes, I usually search the forum before and especially Google. Sometimes I do get results, sometimes not. Believe me, I do have a lot more questions, then the ones, that end up here. I spent a lot of time, to setup my Dorico. But there are a lot of things, that I just don’t find out. Like not being able, to put a repeat ending over slash regions, Signs for swing notation, individual part transposition, are just a few topics, that I didn’t find any answers to.
Maybe I put in the wrong search words.

I must say, I’ve been working with Dorico intensively for 3 Years now.
I am a Bandleader and having good Charts is my Bread and Butter!
I still have a hard time, to find my workflow. There are many things, that take me a long time, to to find out by myself, wich I don’t find quite intuitive.

Example: I put in a Bar Repeat and set it to 4 Bars. Then I want to change something and take the bar repeat sign out. All of a sudden, a barline in the middle of those 4 bars is gone. Yes, I can put the barline back, and I have to mark the repeat sign at a different position, but it was a very time consuming thing, to find that out.

Marking objects is a process that demands extrem concentration. If I mark a note in a medium resolution, like I would you it on a laptop, I always mark the whole chord. I have to zoom very far in to mark only one note of a chord. Same with marking regions. It takes extrem concentration, to find the spot, where I can mark a region, rather than marking the whole chord.

The concept of Popovers:
I find it very demanding, to learn all the commands for Popovers. Like make a double Barline:
Klick the bar behind the bar, that I just finished - hit shift - B - hit Option - 77 - hit enter…
In Sibelius I could set up my own shortcut: Hit- D.

It took me two days, to find out that Falls and Scoops wouldn’t send any control changes in expression maps.
I just was not able to find any search results for that. Yes there is a video out, that explains how to work with expression maps and how to make articulations playback. But it doesn’t say, that falls and scoops don’t!

I could go on with this forever. (Like Lines show up in false places in write mode…)

So first of all, I must state that I do appreciate the possibility of getting fast answers in this forum a lot!! I would like to thank all the people that helped me, wich I usually do. I also try to spend time here and help other people, but they are usually in topics that are far over my head.

But I also must say, that I find things in Dorico sometimes hard to find and well hidden.
For Example: Hiding empty staves. Being in engrave mode, (where I usually need this option) go back to setup open Layout options, select Vertical Spaces scroll down select the player, select the option hide empty staves. That is a long way, compares to just have one button like in Sibelius. (Yes, now there is a direct answer from Google to that, but it has not been 6 months ago)

I don’t want to be too critical, because I know you guys are working hard, to make a superior program from the scratch.
But believe me, we users are working just as hard and patiently!

Please don’t get me wrong!
One more time, thank you for your usually very fast answers! I feel like, I am being listened to here and hope to contribute to make Dorico the best Notation Programm on Earth.

All the Best from very sunny Munich

Ingo

Thanks for the feedback, Ingo. I’m glad that you’re able to find answers to some of your questions in the documentation via Google – that’s our goal, that you should be able to find those answers by searching without having to read hundreds of pages of documentation. So it would probably also be helpful to us if you could let us know what you tried to search for before you ended up posting your question, because that might suggest that there are additional terms or index entries we could add.

As for making deep and sophisticated software “intuitive”, in general I don’t believe it can be done, since every person’s intuition is different. What I hope we can do, though, is to approach the design of the software in a consistent fashion so that you start to figure out where to look for particular options. Again, your feedback on where you expected to find something is also helpful to us (though it doesn’t necessarily mean we’re going to definitely move things!).

Ingo, I am also grateful for your reply, as there are some really useful examples there that might help improve the findability in the documentation of some of those aspects you highlighted. Please do feel free to share any specific search terms you used that were not successful, as Daniel suggested, as I can add alternative terms to the metadata of specific pages or even revise the main body of text to be more helpful.

In regards to this small point about Layout Options: you’re probably already aware that all the main options dialogs (Engrave, Notation, Layout, Note Input, Playback) have key commands that you can use to open the dialog in any mode, but just in case you weren’t, I wanted to share this tip! For Layout Options, the default is Ctrl/Cmd-Shift-L. This means you don’t have to switch modes to access the different dialogs :slight_smile: