Bravura tenuto glyph

I am using a font editor to attempt to make the Bravura tenuto more visible. Personally i find them far to small.

When I edit what I think is the tenuto glyph it makes no difference. I’m editing what Font Creator finds in a search for ‘tenuto’, Unicode U+1D17D.

But when I look at the SMuFL specification I see:

Is this saying the actual tenuto used is U+E4A4? If so, what is the use for U+1D17D? is it some sort of alternate glyph? And the, why does tenuto below not have one?

I’m rather confused.

Upon more investigation, I managed to edit U+E4A4 and it works, but would still like to know what the other tenuto glyph is.

E4A4 has no tag, but the other one does.

I believe all the Bravura glyphs that Dorico uses are in the Private Use Area, U+E000~EFFF. U+1D17D is a “combining tenuto” in the extended Musical Symbols range of Unicode. It’s included in Bravura for compatibility with other software but is not used in Dorico. (The symbol editor won’t accept a 5th digit when entering a Unicode range anyway.)

However! … Bravura already has heavier tenuto marks for use on a small staff, as stylistic alternates. Would those serve your purpose? I simply went to Library > Music Symbols > Articulations and changed Tenuto above to U+F479 and Tenuto below to U+F47A.

[Edited, next day, to correct the codepoints in the last sentence]

1 Like

Hi Andro,

Be careful when editing SMuFL fonts, you’ll need to update the JSON file too, because with your new edit the BB (Bouding Box) values changed, and that might affect the vertical placement and spacing among other music symbols on your scores. It might be safe for a tenuto because the vertical thickness won’t be too much than a ½ space.

1 Like

I cant find those. Aren’t they outside the Private Use Area that Dorico uses? Where are they?

Could you please show me an example of what do do with the JSON in relation to the bounding box?

On a more abstract level, why does Dorico need a JSON file to describe a font? Other programs don’t, as far as I know.

Here’s the answer: Metadata for SMuFL-compliant fonts · Standard Music Font Layout (w3.org)

1 Like

They’re not on the menu of codepoint ranges. You have to switch from “SMuFL” to “Unicode” and type in some number before 4749. Then you’ll see them.

Dorico 5. This is what I get:

Looking up 4749 I see it is a Chinese character:

Is this number really correct?

Try U+F479 for articTenutoAboveSmall and U+F47A for articTenutoBelowSmall.

1 Like

So it was a typographical error.

OMG, my bad. F47, not 474.

(I worked so hard on that problem yesterday!)

1 Like