Broadcast Wave Reference Code

Regarding the Reference code for Broadcast waves I assume that in the field “CCOOONNNNNNNNNNNNHHMMSSRRRRRRRRR” NNNNNNNNNNNN is reserved for name HHMMSS is obviously Hours Minutes Seconds, but what is CC OOO and RRR ?
Anybody know?

And can one view any embedded timecode (origin) info prior to import of these types of files, so I know where to place my cursor…? I remember you used to be able to examine this data in the Import file (Explorer) dialog box in the good ol’ SX3 days…!! You’d click (highlight) a file and the lower part of the dialog had all the info.

Thinking about it, maybe this was/is a ‘Windows’ OS thing; no show in Win7.

For now, its trial and error - import the file(s) at an arbitrary cursor position (usually zero, but not always), and see if the files all line up

Import them into the pool and from there insert into project at timecode postion…!?

There’s a free widget to examine the metadata.

Well I’ll be…

Thank you muchly tc; that sounds like it should be just the ticket. :slight_smile:

Thanks; interesting, though do you have any other clues about it, before I stretch Bing’s muscles…? :wink:

Ditto and this time I’ve found it! Summary follows, links below.

USID (‘Unique’ Source Identifier)
The USID in the is generated using several independent randomisation sources in order to guarantee its uniqueness in absence of a single allocation authority. An effective and easy to use randomisation method is obtained by combining user, machine and time specific information plus a random number. These elements are:
• CC - Country code: (2 characters) based on the ISO 3166 standard
• OOO - Organisation code: (3 characters) based on the EBU facility codes, I30-1996.
• NNNNNNNNNNNN - Serial number: (12 characters extracted from the recorder model and serial number) This should identify the machine’s type and serial number.
• HHMMSS - OriginationTime (6 characters,) from the field of the BWF. These elements should be sufficient to identify a particular recording in a human-useful form in conjunction with other sources of information, formal and informal.
• RRRRRRRRR - Random Number (9 characters 0-9) Generated locally by the recorder using some reasonably random algorithm. This element serves to separately identify files made at the same time, such as stereo channels, or tracks within multitrack recordings.

From http://www.ebu.ch/CMSimages/fr/tec_text_r99-1999_tcm7-4689.pdf
Linked to from this site (don’t worry, it’s in English):
http://www.ebu.ch/fr/technical/publications/userguides/bwf_user_guide.php

Looks like quite important info too. There’s a whole bunch to read through and it’s worth the trouble.

1 Like

brilliant find :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :smiley: thanks for demystifying :wink:

Aloha C,

A major ‘mahalo’ for that info.
Just what the doctor ordered.
{‘-’}

Thanks ever so much Crotchety, great detective work. :smiley:

It’s a great relief, isn’t it, to be able to finally relax! It was Puma0382’s post about using Bing that made the difference. Previously I’d used G :unamused: gle. Just goes to show… :wink:

This thread from Patanjali (11 Jul 2013) shows you that Cubase timestamps the broadcast wave:

At the very end of any wave file produced there is an XML section with details of the file contents:

Whatever is in the 'Description' field. 2013-07-10 19:53:10 Whatever is in the 'Author' field. CCOOONNNNNNNNNNNN195310RRRRRRRRR 3 3703706112 Unique 32 hex character string AudioSyncpoint int Samples per second

Note that the <BWF_ORIGINATOR_REFERENCE> tag includes 195310 (17:53:10 = 7:53:10 PM) where the HHMMSS was in the default ‘Reference’ text. It is the ONLY text substituted.

Actually, he means 19:53:10 but you get the idea

Hello Crotchety,

Yeah. I want trying to compensate for those who don’t read 24hour time, but I got myself mixed up. I’ll leave them to their own devices in future.

As I noted in the rest of the post you quoted from, just including the HHMMSS in some other text does NOT result in any time substitution.

As the first part before the time is an EBU defined format (as per Redirect Notice), it is pretty useless outside the EU.

Pity Steinberg didn’t make it more universally useful by having substitutable substrings. I am putting my ISRC code for the project in there.

1 Like

Don’t worry, I realised it was a slip of the finger but someone had picked this up on the other thread so I was just trying to pre-empt further comments… :wink:

Anyway, that document you link to is a useful supplement to the link I gave so thanks for that!

Cheers,
C

Great info!