Broken VST performance since OS update

Try disabling wifi.

Already tried, of course.
Didn’t change anything.
Anyway, I usually don’t really use internet on this computer, except if I need some mixing advice from other musician friends, or stuff like that.
I just wish I didn’t let Windows make an update -_-

Hey it is me again. Still would try the windows update uninstall route How to uninstall the Windows 10 Anniversary Update - CNET If this uninstall way does not work, google it!

BTW I use tinywall firewall to block windows update on win7. Should work on 10 too.
Or http://www.thewindowsclub.com/turn-off-windows-update-in-windows-10

Hey.
The thing is, I can’t roll back to the previous build, as right before noticing those problems with Cubase, I performed a disk cleanup and therefore erased the datas of the previous Windows build, which are necessary to reinstall it.
So I’m stuck with this new version of the OS.

Oh wow and what about a complete reinstall? Maybe even win7? Or a laptop restore
to when you bought it? You will have to google how to acces the restore but mostly done at bootup.
I understand you are hoping for a fix of course!

I’m thinking about restoring my laptop to factory settings / OS, yeah, even if it’s clearly not the best solution for me.
But I’d still like to understand why this update caused me all these problems.

You may want to try toggling the “suspend VST3 plug-in processing when no audio signals are received” option in preferences. I just recently switched this off while troubleshooting VST performance spikes and things improved dramatically - Real-time and peak VST usage dropped a fair amount and the spikes were gone.

Interestingly, when I tried turning this option back on things looked even better with even less VST load. Still need to investigate this further, but there definitely seems to be an issue here - at least on my system (older 6 core i7 running Win 10). I’ve been fighting problems with Plug-in Alliance plugs causing spikes/white noise and now wondering if this is related (not had time to test any further yet).

I’ll try this out, thanks !

I’ve got this problem, too, since the update to build 14393 (not the latest, but the one before that). It’s absolutely terrible - and awful flashback to a long time ago, when my PC couldn’t really handle Cubase or there were inexplicable incompatibilities ruining everything.

SOLUTION (for me):

After having spent the best part of an hour battling a video card update (which first failed, and then I had to register via Facebook and get confirmation e-mail in order to install GeForce Experience :imp: ), which didn’t solve anything, I have narrowed it down to…

old, unused network cards.

I disabled those in Device manager, plus an unused, onboard audio device, and the problem appears to be gone.