Automation Gets Stuck in Write Position

Same here.
Happens occasionally

regards

This just started happening to me on an FX track. The only option is closing the project. I’m on 10.5, but it looks like it’s still an issue with 11? Crazy.

Same here on 11.0.40. Brutal - happens so often. And it often looses the ability to undo at the same time. Please fix this!!!

Resurrecting this because it’s happened 5 or 6 times today and I’m getting really quite sick of it.

Running the latest version, 11.4.1, but been seeing this bug since version 10.

Can’t reproduce, just seems to happen randomly. Disabling and re-enabling the track works but once it happens, any other automation moves get “stuck” in write mode until I re-start the session. And by “stuck” I mean that it won’t read current automation either. It’s really awful.

Here’s what it looks like when it happens. This is taken with the transport stopped.

1 Like

Hi,

Do you use any MIDI Remote hardware, please?

Thanks for the response Martin. I have:

1.) Komplete Kontrol S61
2.) Softube Console 1
3.) Lemur running as a generic remote (however, it’s currently disconnected and not in use)

Hi,

My expectation is, there will be any timing issue. You switch the Wire Off, but other device switches it On again.

If you can reproduce it easily, could you try with only one hardware device, please? And can you try without any hardware, please?

Hey Martin - will maybe experiment when I get some down time - in the mean time, here is another user showing the bug in action from Cubase 9.5 (same behavior I’m seeing):

Write Automation Issue - Cubase 9.5 - YouTube

To clarify, the problem is not that write automation is getting turned on. The problem is that it gets STUCK on, no longer reads existing automation, cannot edit existing automation, etc.

Hi,

Thank you, I saw the bug already few times, I know, how does it look like. It was always caused by some kind of MIDI feedback.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. The thing is, I can’t reproduce it. The session will work fine for awhile, then suddenly it just starts happening.

I’m a little confused by your response - has it been determined that this is absolutely not Cubase’s fault and definitely related to midi hardware? Is there no fix Cubase could make to prevent this unusable state from cropping up?

Hi,

As far as I know, with proper settings (no MIDI loop), it wasn’t reproducible in Steinberg so far.

Can you suggest some troubleshooting steps I can do to track down a “midi loop”? I’m still not understanding how this is being caused. And I still don’t quite understand, even if it is caused by midi hardware, why a fail safe couldn’t be added to make sure Cubase doesn’t enter this unusable state.

Hi,
I activate “Write” on a track, and record some automation. It creates the automation lane, and the title of the lane gets colored in red. Then there is no more way to disable “Write” on this automation lane.

The only workaround (in order to disable Write) is to disable the track itself, and enable it.

By the way, why does it get red ?

Thanks

ps : Cubase 11 Pro 11.0.40

to show that it is in “write” state…and that there is data written to the lane…

You have to disable “write” on the track…

Thanks for your help on the explanation of “Red” state.

About the solution “You have to disable “write” on the track…”, I appreciate you tried to help. That is already what I do. But hope Steinberg will consider this as a bug and solve it. Today it happened on a group track. And as you know, group tracks cannot even be disabled, so I had to remove the plugin, insert again, and find a different way to enter automation!

Hm… it just works on my system… maybe there is something…?!
Can you provide a bigger shot of the screen?
Which plugin is it? Maybe I can try to reproduce it…

I noticed that it happens if I use automation to bypass a plugin (happens on any plugin). Can you test that ?

did a really quick test on my Nuendo right now… works as expected…
Have to find the Cubase dongle to try it on that…

tried it on Cubase now… works flawless

Can you provide a screenshot from your automation panel? (F6)

Hi,

Do you use any hardware remote device to write the automation, please? Do you have multiple Remote Devices by any chance?