BUG: Cubase hangs forever, REPRODUCIBLE

I’ve made video on how to hang Cubase forever in two slightly different ways, watch here (German PC with Windows 11 and URC-44C Audio device):

This is not root problem. The root problem is, that Cubase from time to time hangs, when you start Cubase, open a project, close a project or close Cubase. I hope that this rather exotic but reproducible use-case helps the developers to solve the root problem.

1 Like

Hi,

Does Cubase make a dmp file? Could you share it, please?

Not sure, where do I find that dmp file?

In C:\Users\andreas\Documents\Steinberg\CrashDumps
it does not create a new file with the above procedure

Same here. I also have the UR44C interface. No crash dumps or if there is one it’s 0 kb.

Oddly, I installed Cubase on my old laptop with only the on-board sound card and it works perfectly. No crashes, hangs, freezes.

Apparently it’s not the audio interface. In addition to the URC44C, I have a Roland GT-001 USB interface. I opened the project, changed the audio system to “GT-001” in the studio setup, then saved the song to disc and did the same as above. With the same result: Cubase freezes forever, at least with these two audio devices and probably regardless of which audio interface you use

Maybe not. Is the UR44C connected to the computer when you use the other interface?

Both were connected simultaneously. But it also happens when I unplug both interfaces and use the builtin “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver”. It also happens with a different Cubase Project.

Hi,

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 12:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase12

Nuendo 12:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo12

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.

BTW, same happens on my Laptop which is completely different Hardware. You can find the dump here:
https://a-voss.de/cubase/Cubase12.exe_230130_110746.zip

Hi,

This crash is related to the eLCC. Please, make sure you have the latest eLCC installed. How old is your USB-eLicenser? Which license do you still have on the eLCC?

Hi, here are 3 more dumps, created in slightly different ways (different editing before closing Cubase):

https://a-voss.de/cubase/MoreDumps.zip

These are created on my Laptop with no Audio Interface and USB-dongle connected. The eLC version is 6.12.8.3315, there are no licenses installed.

Can you reproduce it? Try these steps:

• Start Cubase, open a project, make some modifications but do not save
  • Shut down Windows. Shutdown procedure will start, then you get a message that Cubase is preventing the shutdown because of unsaved changes
  • Cancel shutdown and go back to Cubase. Now you can continue to work with Cubase as usual, but Cubase will freeze when you close it.

Andreas

Hi,

Is this the way, how did you get the 3 freeze dumps, you just shared?

All the crashes are the same. They are in the eLCC area.

Yes, with different editing before closing/freezing Cubase

1 Like

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

1 Like