FIXED: Multi-objects with LFE signals missing in ADM master file (fixed with update 12.0.51)

I am currently working on a complex Atmos project. Normally I link FX busses directly as objects This saves an additional layer and is absolutely fine for many projects. (In terms of object usage, however, it’s not very efficient.) In this project, however, there are so many objects planned that I might run out of 118 objects. Therefore I created a “higher-level” group bus for some objects. The signal goes from an audio track via output routing to the FX bus and from there to the group bus. The group bus is then connected to the renderer as a multi-object.

Now the problem: Although I can see the objects of the group bus in the renderer and hear their signal, they are missing in the final Atmos mix. It makes no difference whether the signal is routed via output routing or via sends. How can it be that a signal that is displayed and played back by the renderer is then not included in the final ADM file?

1 Like

Are you using a External renderer?
If you are you can’t add recording tracks after you have started recording on a master file.
And what you write is what happens (happened, might have changed since I experienced it) I when you didn’t start recording all the channels on the master the first time. I had this issue a year ago and had to start a new master file to get it all recorded.

I currently use Nuendo’s internal Atmos renderer.

Then I have no idea. Sorry.

1 Like

Thank you anyway for trying. :grinning:
I’m also a bit stumped right now. As a “first aid” I have now defined the FX tracks directly as objects again. (Instead of 14 objects with a parent group bus, I now need 28 objects for two FX buses.) However, I find it much more irritating that I get something displayed in Nuendo’s internal Atmos renderer that is then not written 1:1 to the ADM master file. So I can not rely on Nuendo.

Hi,
I would like to try and reproduce.
You write about 14 channels per FX Bus, what channel with are they, so that I try the same?
7.1.6 or 9.1.4 or something special?

Cheers,
Dirx

Thank you so much for supporting me. :+1:
I have an audio track in mono which contains dialog. The audio track goes to an FX bus (7.1.6) via output routing. (But I also tried it via sends.) The FX bus is then defined as a multi-object in the internal Atmos renderer. Who is interested: The FX bus contains an instance of Stratus 3D.

However, I fear that my problems are even bigger than assumed. Because defining the FX bus as a multi-object, unfortunately that doesn’t work now either. :scream: And that has definitely always worked so far. But also with the FX bus it is now so that the signal still passes through the Atmos renderer, but then is missing in the final ADM master file

I wanted to test it now on another project to see if it only affects this one project or is a general problem.

I have now also tried it with an existing project and with an blank project: It does NOT work in both cases. If I define only the FX bus as a multi-object in the newly created project, the ADM tool does not create an ADM master file at all. I also changed the plug-in to rule out Stratus 3D is causing the problem. But it does not work with Cinematic Rooms either. So it’s not the plug-in.
By the way, when I output the project via the normal audio export, the signal from the FX bus is included. It seems that the signal is lost somewhere between the Atmos renderer and the ADM tool.

I have a fear that the problem is related to the last update. Then before that everything was working fine. I’ll test tomorrow next to see if it works again with version 12.0.40. Now I’m too tired to test it.

Just curious about your 7.1.6 effects bus as the internal renderer only supports up to 7.1.4. Thoughts?

I tried, the results are confusing.
I will continue later, with Nuendo 12 and also 11.
Have to work more than I thought today…

Cheers
Dirx

I have now tested it with version 12.0.40 and there everything works as it should. To be really sure, I then switched back to version 12.0.50: There it does not work.
I am therefore very sure that with version 12.0.50 “multi-objects” no longer work. For whatever reason. (I hope not that there secretly a function was removed. “Multi-Objects” is one of the best Atmos features on Nuendo.)

I’ll stick with version 12.0.40 for now. It would be great if someone else could confirm this bug. And that “multi-objects” then work again with the next update.

What I think? That Dolby Atmos is object-based, so the renderer doesn’t care if the bus is mono or 7.1.6. :wink:
As the internal Atmos renderer officially only handles 7.1.4, it doesn’t show you the signal properly. But it is there, of course. (The reality is a bit more complicated, but the essence is correct.)

have you logged a support ticket for this ?

No. I’ve been busy troubleshooting so far. Also, I want to make sure it’s not me or my technology first. (I would be more comfortable if a second person confirmed the bug.) This bug seems so extremely improbable.
Since “multi-objects” work with version 12.0.40, but not with version 12.0.50, it seems pretty clear to me that it’s the update. And not due to me or my hardware.

When you set this up, did you first route the output of the source (FX or group) to an Atmos output (7.1.4) and then define it (source) as an object-group? I could be remembering this incorrectly, but my memory tells me that the output channel configuration had to be defined first by routing to an Atmos target and only after that did changing to object work.

Sorry, I don’t remember that.
Well, it works with version 12.0.40, so I seem to have done it in the right order, at least for that version of Nuendo. :wink: But I can test it again with version 12.0.50 in the order you recommended.

@MattiasNYC
Have tested it now. With version 12.0.40 it does not matter in which order the FX bus is created as a multi-object. The signal is always included in the final Atmos mix.
With version 12.0.50 the order does not matter either: it does not work in both cases. No ADM master file is created at all. (Because there is no other content in the project except the FX bus.)

For this test, I created the FX bus in 7.1.4 this time (instead of 7.1.6). Just to rule out that maybe this is the reason. (Which would be stupid enough, because with version 12.0.40 everything works as it should.)

I just read this section here in the release notes for the latest update:

We have improved the stability in Dolby Atmos projects with faulty object configuration.

Whatever is meant by “faulty object configuration”: Maybe this is the reason why multi-objects don’t work anymore.

1 Like

Last thought - is it the same for you using groups with the same plugins as opposed to FX tracks?

I tried some more. (Nuendo 12.0.50)
Audio tracks this time.
1 Bed+
1 mono channel object
1 stereo channel object
1 5.1 channel object
1 7.1.4 channel object
plus 1 FX 7.1.6 channel object

For all channels higher than stereo I had to manually change the panner to VstMultiPanner (from mixconvert), in order to make them selectable as objects in the adm-authoring panel.
These channels do not appear in the exported adm.
Only the bed, and the mono and stereo track as objects.

Also, as I created the FX channel before the mono and stereo tracks, the object numbers displayed in the “object view” area of the renderer are “wrong” compared to the “audio object” area.

Will try later in N11…

2 Likes

I just updated to Nuendo 12.0.50 and can confirm that the native Dolby Atmos render export is broken. It only renders stereo files right now. Back to nuendo 11 for now.

2 Likes

@Dirx @melvinr12 You are right: the problem is much bigger! :scream:

It doesn’t matter if an audio track, a group or an FX bus is defined as objects. The problem is that only mono objects or stereo objects are exported to the ADM file. (I have changed the title of the thread to reflect this.)

I didn’t notice this before because I currently only focused on the FX bus.

Here is an example: In the project there is one audio track in mono and one in 5.1, both defined as objects. (Figure 2 shows the result in the Dolby Atmos consumer file.)

_NUENDO_Test_A_Projekt

_NUENDO_Test_B_Atmos

@TimoWildenhain

can you confirm that Steinberg are aware of this ?