[BUG in 5.1] unpredictable fx track / solo group

here’s a test session, see attached
solo-bug-test.npr (322 KB)

Thanks for that. I do see what you mean and even though it might look like a bug at first glance I don’t think it is and is probably “as designed”. Steinberg should take a look anyway to check that it’s intended behaviour.

Basically why your problem is occurring is because you are sending to FX1 via the send but you also have a disabled direct routing path to the same FX bus on the “solo me” channel. The SIP intelligent logic is probably looking at this, seeing a potential feedback/routing issue and thus not soloing the FX channel. When you enable/disable the send (I am guessing here) it might update that routing logic so that your send now has priority over the disabled direct routing. As direct routing can be automated there is probably quite a bit of complexity to that SIP logic.

Simply remove the unused direct routing path (do you need it?) and your SIP will function exactly as you expect.

For Steinberg here is a simple repro:

• Create a new session with 1 audio (Audio01) and 1 FX track (FX01)
  • Create a send from Audio01 to FX01
  • Create a secondary disabled direct routing path from Audio01 to FX01
  • Solo Audio01
    —> FX01 is not soloed

@likelystory

thanks for the repro

one important thing to add to the repro

• even if you remove the inactive direct routing reference the fx channel, the fx channel is still muted when soloing the audio track.

IOW, direct routing an audio/group track to an fx channel, permanently corrupts solo behavior.

if “Connect Sends automatically for each newly created Channel” is ON,
direct routing slots are already inactively populated with FX channels,
solo works as expected until you purposefully/accidentally activate and then deactivate an FX slot.

Then you don’t know that it will get fixed. If it indeed is a bug that is.

Try reloading the session. The bit where you have the preference to auto assign sends populating the direct routing slots is a bit of a PITA if you need that (personally I never use that preference).

@Steinberg

the repro has been submitted,
so is this bug gonna be fixed?