BUG: all linked tracks are not selected in the Project window

If I am interpreting your request correctly highlight all the tracks you want to link in the mixer. Right click over one of the highlighted tracks and click Link Selected Channels.
In the window that comes up tick all those qualities you want especially Record Enable/Monitor. Then when you hit record all the linked channels will record.

@Silhouette. If you do as you say, but then select a track from the Project menu, only that track highlights and only that track drops into record. I think that’s what Innervision is commenting on. If you toggle record or solo, then all linked channels highlight and all will be set ready to record

Thanks for the suggestions. But… like you mentioned Parrotspain, the goal here is worflow efficiency. And having to fiddle and mess around in the Console Mixer just to be able to arm record 2 tracks is not what I call efficiency. I do my recordings from the Project window, not the Mixer Console.

I think we can call this a bug as the behavior is not consistent between the Mixer console and the Project window. What do you think?

I assume that you are talking about the Arrange Page? As far as I know it has been like that for a long time. Can see your point, but I can also see that setting things up like this can be useful. If you select a track you then highlight record on one of the unhighlighted tracks all your link tracks activate record. Which is the same number of mouse click as selecting one track and highlighting record on that track. That’s how I have been doing it for years! I guess it is a pain, but I have known no other way!

Thing is even if the tracks are linked in the Mixer, this linked state doesn’t work in the Project window.

It should be only one mouse click: I select one linked track which actually selects all linked tracks and arm them for recording. This works in the Mixer but not in the Project window for some reason. Are the tracks linked or not?? Yes, so they should behave like linked tracks everywhere in Cubase. Hence, bug. Please don’t say that’s a feature :sweat_smile:

Well you are right. However, it does mean that if you want to re-record a correction on one track you don’t have to unlink the tracks. However, to do that you have to click on another track and go back to the track you want to alter. I concede that there should be a little more consistency. I guess I have never thought about it.

I record one guitar track with 3 microphones so I need these 3 tracks to be linked. It’s easier to edit and to record (and to avoid mistakes, like mistakenly moving events). I will never have the need to unlink them to record a different take on only one of these tracks. If I need a different take, it’s all 3 tracks/microphones or nothing.

Again, the behavior is correct within the Mixer, so why can’t I just select one linked track in the Project window and be done with it? (meaning having all
tracks selected and armed) This is really nonsense, that’s why it should be a bug.

Anyway, thanks for looking into this!

1 Like

If Mixer and Arrange Page (Project Window sic.) are linked, then they should act in the same way. I would stop just short of calling it a bug as nothing is strictly speaking broken, it is more an oversight or inconsistency. But I definitely think it needs to be pointed out in case Steinberg aren’t aware of it. I can’t see an advantage in it being set up like this.

1 Like

Perhaps what should be requested is for the Link Selection Window to have an extra entry for Synchronous Record for those like you who need it. I often link my guitar tracks, or vocal tracks but don’t need to record more than one track at a time and so for them to always go into record would be a pain. However looking at the practicalities I will now be using The VCA fader to link those groups.

@Silhouette. It’s a fair point. Another option might be to add a global or individual “Suspend Links” to the Mixer

One thing I perhaps should have mentioned is that I use a Desktop PC with 3 monitors and always have the Mixer in view. I can see that with a Lap top this also introduces workflow issues.

You could also stash the tracks in a folder and arm all of them from the folder.

But I’m with you. There should be consistency of functions, whatever is possible in the mixer should be possible in the project and vice versa.

1 Like

@Silhouette. I have quite recently added a third monitor. I love the speed at which I can move around. It is clearly important that Cubase translates well to a laptop situation, using lower zone etc.

Sorry but this clearly a bug. It doesn’t even behave like it should in the Mixer.

I set up 3 linked Audio tracks in the mixer , linked with Volume, Mute, Selection, and Record.
In the Mixer:

• When I move the Volume slider, all 3 Volume sliders are moving
    Project window:
  • When I move the Volume slider, all 3 Volume sliders are moving

In the Mixer:

• When I click on Solo, all 3 tracks are Selected and soloed
    Project window:
  • When I click on Solo, all 3 tracks are soloed but only one is selected → hence BUG

Same thing happens when only clicking on one of the linked tracks to select them: works as expected in the Mixer but not in the Project.

In Cubase 6, after linking the tracks I could with one click select all 3 tracks and arm record them.
In Cubase 11, even after linking the tracks, I have to manually select all 3 tracks to arm record them.

3 clicks against 1.

But this issue goes further for me: having the tracks linking correctly in the Project would avoid me the displeasure to redo takes that were half recorded because I’d have forgotten to arm record all the corresponding microphones tracks. That would really piss me off.

ggmanestraki The folder tracks could have been a workaround if they were not keeping this arm recording state at all time even when selecting other tracks. So we have to not forget to unarm them to move to other tracks. I actually use them for my guitar recordings but not for this purpose.

1 Like

Yes, that’s true. After I route my tracks, I stash them in the folder and pretend that I’m recording to a single track (the folder). I rarely forget to press R after I’m done recording.

But enough of that, you are used to your own way, and it doesn’t work anymore. Why don’t you add the issue tag to the thread, maybe someone from the team sees it and they confirm/deny the problem.

Just curious, did you just click on the Record Enable button on one of the tracks and all three were armed? OR, did you have to first click on one to select them all and then click on the Record Enable button?

Edit: Are you using the same Preferences as in the other issue thread?
BUG: solo applied only once on 2 presses - #8 by Innervision

1 Like

For me not to be able to record on one track in a linked group would be irritating, especially when you are recording a number guitar tracks. It has to be an option in the Link Tracks window. Have you posted this in the bug threads?

I actually never press R to arm record or unarm record because it’s done automatically when I select a track (I setup my Preferences to behave like so) I find it way faster and avoid forgetting an armed track somewhere in the Project.

On C6, I would just click on one of the linked tracks to:

• select them all
  • arm record all of them

All this done with one click.

Exactly

I’m not trying to argue but I’m not sure why you would need to do so for a take recorded with multiple microphones on several tracks. I want my piezzo take to match my Beyerdynamics mic take otherwise it’s just doubling and I don’t link these tracks at the recording stage. Maybe at the Mixing stage if needed. But all the takes would have already been recorded. Anyway, you can always Suspend in the Mixer all the Links.

Simply!!! I don’t use multiple mics as I use my Kemper. I am multi tracking different guitar parts then using the link to preserve the relative volumes.

Ok I understand, maybe you could just link those tracks for Volume and uncheck Selection and Recording, so they would be linked but you could always record them individually.

Yes I do record them individually then link them. However as I have started using VCA fader that is another option.