Bug: Key signature on transposing instrument missing

My Bb clarinet part in a concert C-major piece shows no key signature. (Should be 2#, of course.) If I put a k/s of 2 # in the clarinet part, all the other parts switch to E major (this of course is correct). If I play F# on my keyboard, the # shows up in the part as an accidental, so apparently it’s not just a matter of the k/s being hidden. This happens only in C; if I tell the program that the piece is in G or F, the correct k/s shows up in the Bb clarinet part. Also, the A clarinet part shows no k/s, nor do the F horn parts. (But they all do if I change the key away from C.)

In a new score the KS defaults to open, so you have to add the key of C major explictly (in the score) for the KS to show in the parts… (I think :slight_smile: )

Right you are. That worked.

This is counter-intuitive enough to warrant specific mention in the documentation. The help file says, “Dependent on the kind of music you are writing, the key signature might be taken to mean C major or an open key with no specific tonal center.” What does the first clause mean, and how would Dorico know which it was?

It’s your score, so you are assumed to know whether you want to notate the piece is in C major (or A minor), or without any key signature at all. If you write in C major/A minor, transposing instruments get the appropriate key signatures. Otherwise, no instruments have key signatures.

Dorico is no different from Finale, Sibelius, etc over this - except the default for a new score in Dorico is “no key signature, no time signature”, but other programs may create a new score as “C major, 4/4 time”.