Bug? Massive conversion artifacts 44.1>48KHz

In earlier versions of Nuendo I never encountered the following problem. I recently imported an 44.1 kHz project into Nuendo 12.0.52 and got massive artifacts of the converted WAVs (like crumbled tape in good old times). When exporting the 44.1 files and converting them during the export process into 48kHz everything went fine. Has anybody any idea where the problem lies or is it a bug?

If the project and the audio interface and/or the project and the imported file do not have the same sample rate, this can change the sound. (Also depends on the settings during import.) But not the way you describe it.
And surely you already checked if your interface works with the correct sample rate. :wink:

If you import files into Nuendo with a sampling rate that differs from the “standard” (44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, 96 kHz, etc.), then this can result in files that sound “broken”. (Because Nuendo’s SRC algorithm, unlike that of iZotope RX for example, can’t handle crooked values). But that doesn’t seem to be the case here.

When you write “import”, you mean what exactly? ADM? OMF AAF?
It would be nice if you could give some more information about your project. And how you import and export. Then we can better isolate the problem.

Hi MAS, thanks for the quick reply. I said “import” - that was wrong in this context. I have an Apollo USB DUO set to 48 kHz and opened a project recorded in 44,1 kHz. Pitch too high as expected. Switched project sample rate to 48 kHz: Nuendo asked if I want to convert the files. Everything went flawless. Afterwards crumbled results. When I say no to the conversion and export with converting to 48 kHz the resulting files are clean and pristine.
The problem raised in the first place because I have the Apollo coupled to my Dante network via Dante via. By now the S/R of Dante Via is fixed at 48kHz. Otherwise I would have changed the S/R before opening the project.

Then it works now?

Whenever I have to open a session at a different sample rate, using Dante, I quit Nuendo, open my Dante controller, change the sample rater, then open Nuendo, and finally opening the session.

An extra step, but it is how it is supposed to be done.

Cheers!

No, the problem stays the same. I have to use the workaround [noeqplease] posted, changing the samplerate via the Dante controller to 44,1 kHz then open the 44,1kHz project. Then go ahead. As I said, when using Dante Via, the sample rate is fixed at 48 kHz. So I have to exclude Dante Via from the equation. I’ll report if this works.

1 Like

That’s the way I used to do it beofre using Dante Via to connect my Apollo Duo to Dante. the culprit is that Via is fixed to 48 kHz. So I have to take Via out, change the Dante sample rate via the Dante controller, open the project, convert the project and then recouple Via.

1 Like

We tested Dante Via here in the summer. I found it surprising that Via only handles 48 kHz. Among other things, because of this limitation, we have not bought the program after the test period.

If I have a little more time tomorrow, I’ll test it on my laptop. If it’s a Nuendo problem, then I should be able to reproduce it without Dante Via.

1 Like

If Dante Via is the Master clock, and you cannot change the sample rate there, then you must disconnect your local workstation from it to use your own DAW at a different sample rate.

Here I am not connected to a central server, so I do not have that sort of issue. I change the sample rate whenever I need to via Dante Control.

I finally found the time to get to the bottom of your problem:
Created a project in 44.1 kHz and saved it. Then set the interface to 48 kHz and open the project in Nuendo. Then changed the sample rate of the project from 44.1 to 48 kHz. When Nuendo asks me if it should convert the files, I confirmed this.

The result is as expected: I don’t hear any annoying artifacts sounding as you describe. :person_shrugging:

What do you click when Nuendo asks you if you want the audio events to keep their sample position? Yes or No?

Hi MAS, I clicked “no” to “…to keep their sample position”. Sync was right afterwards.