As I’m moving a lot I do a lot of work on my laptop. It has only a small built-in HD so I offloaded all of my sample libraries on my NAS. I point MediaBay to it to index all my sample libraries. But when I open the MediaBay, it takes AGES to display the MediaBay window.
- Every time I open the MediaBay window, it takes about 30-40 seconds to display the window
- My list of libraries is big, when I scroll down the list to select a specific folder, the scrolling locks the window completely for another 30 seconds.
- Clicking on a folder lists the samples quickly. I can click on any sample and it almost starts playing immediately, very fast. Also large files of 100MB and more are displayed quickly and instantly played back. Meaning my network speed is OK.
- The portions of the folder list it loaded are then fast for scrolling. I can scroll up no problem, but when I scroll further down, it again takes ages to load for the first time.
- When I close MediaBay and open it again, all this mumbo jambo starts again, taking the window 30-40 seconds to display. Then taking a long time scrolling in the list.
Conclusion: Some network code or how MediaBay handles its local library cache is not right. It’s OK for MB to scan folders in the background, but not blocking all of Nuendo. MB should display instantly. It has an index of all the folders locally, right? So it can look up folders and files locally, no need to freeze the whole computer. Or is there a setting?
Here’s what I mean: