Sounds like a bug to me. It’s certainly not how I would expect it to behave, and it makes using the inspector worthless (and indeed worse than that, actually misleading to anyone who’s not confident enough with the software to work around such an issue)
- Create a new blank project
- Go to Devices > VST Instruments and create a Halion Sonic SE.
- Create 16 MIDI tracks (channels 1-16) and route them to the Halion Sonic SE.
- Go to the inspector for Track 1 (channel 1) and change the patch from the list that appears.
- Select a different MIDI track.
The Inspector displays the patch selected for MIDI channel 1, regardless of the track being on another MIDI channel. In addition, if the patch is initially set using HSSE’s UI instead of via the inspector, that patch is NOT reported in the Inspector.
The Inspector should display the patch for the MIDI channel of the selected track.
Windows 7 32-bit, Cubase 6.0.7.
Windows 7 64-bit, Cubase 6.5.3.