[BUG]: Recording the MIDI OUT from VSTi does not work!

That’s very misleading and confusing then. I think in the VST SDK there is one MIDI out implemented by default (from my days foraging through the SDK). It’s basically just a dummy routine as part of the development template. I think most developers don’t bother taking it out.

I agree, if you dont use it take it out but NI never did in any VSTI AFAIK and not taking it out if unused does not break the rules.

Hippo

In the FM8 doc, there is a very short paragraph about being able to use the MIDI output for feedback when using hardware remotes (but the option seems only available for the standalone version). Not having such a feedback-capable hardware device, I have no idea if it actually works or not :stuck_out_tongue:.

It does, just tried it.

Hippo

Ah! Cool :slight_smile:

Hi

Hi,

I am using Win 7 64-bit, Cubase 6.02, Reaktor 5.61

I made a screenvideo: this is a very simple Reaktor module that just sends out Control Change messages (cc60 on channel 1) from Reaktor. (I tested, it does work within Kore2.)
I’d like to record this cc stream into Cubase 6.
VST MIDI Out.gif
I move the Value knob, the MIDI Out indicator is blinking, it sends out the cc stream, but Cubase 6 does not record anything.

What is wrong?

B.

Any idea to this topic?

Many ideas, well displayed by the video, not a Cubase issue IMO.

Have no problem here in recording in cubase the midi output of Reaktor so not a Reaktor issue IMO.

Must be you then?

Hippo

I have written before and even made a gif to demonstrate that you need to select the VSTi’s output as input on a MIDI track to record MIDI data from a VSTi in Cubase. :wink:

Gr,
JHP

Ok here is what I am doing - see screenvideo below:

Two MIDI tracks:

1. Reaktor 5 01 track on MIDI CH1.

2. Empty MIDI 02 track (on MIDI CH1) - its input is set to Reaktor 5 Midi Out.

3. Start MIDI recording on the MIDI 02 track (its input is set to Reaktor 5 MIDI Out) while moving the Reaktor cc60 knob.

CC60 should be recorded, but nothing is recorded.

What is wrong?
VST MIDI Out_2.gif

Try the reaktor forum, Cubase does record the output of reaktor if there is any thing sent to it.

Hippo

Hi,

funny. It works within other host (Kore2) but not in Cubase.

Is there any wrong settings on my last screenvid?

B.

In the earlier videos things weren’t routed properly but that last one seems to be fine!

Do you want to send me your simple Reaktor Module and I’ll test it here . . . I don’t think I have anything else here that sends MIDI out . .

red at redlodgemusic dot com

Hmmm, I also tried achieving this with Reaktor by connecting Reaktor’s MIDI out to the input of a MIDI track in Cubase and attempting to record the data . .

To my surprise I couldn’t get Cubase to record anything! Reaktor’s MIDI out lights up like a christmas tree but Cubase doesn’t seem to get the MIDI data :[

I’m on 32 bit Cubase 6.0.3 running on Windows 7.

I’m no expert on Reaktor, but here, any ensemble that actually generates MIDI (where you can see the MIDI activity in Reaktor’s MIDI Out meter) does get received by a Cubase MIDI track.
For example, I just tried Factory>Ensembles>New Additions>Sequencers>Spiral.ens.

I too would like to try Bacizone’s example Reaktor ensemble.

PM sent.

Well… I can confirm Baci’s findings…
His Test Reaktor Ensemble does indeed send MIDI data, according to the MIDI Out meter in Reaktor 5, but it is not being received by Cubase 6 … nor is it being received in Cubase 4.
However, I just set up a Layout in Plogue Bidule Standalone (external keyboard>Reaktor 5>external synth), and it works perfectly there.

However, like I said earlier, some Reaktor Ensembles are working correctly in Cubase, so i don’t really know where the blame lies.
(btw, please verify with the Reaktor Factory Ensemble, “Spiral” (which does work in Cubase here). )

HI,

yes, I managed to record the Spiral sequences into Cubase!

So: we have some Reactor ensembles that all sends out MIDI, at least by its MIDI indicator.
BUT…only some of them are recordable into Cubase.

What may be the difference? This question is maybe for the Reactor forum… but if anyone come up with an idea you are welcomed!

Baci

My little Plogue Bidule Standalone experiment gave me food for thought…
So, In Cubase, I loaded Plogue Bidule VST Instrument into the VSTi rack, and loaded Reaktor 5 into it (with your Test Ensemble), making the necessary MIDI connections inside Bidule (so, in other words, you can think of all that as “Reaktor 5 inside a shell”), and fed the MIDI output of Bidule VSTi into a MIDI track in Cubase…

It works!

(the downside to all that, is that while Plogue Bidule Standalone is still free, it is only the paid license version that has also VST and AU versions.

But didn’t you say that you also have Kore 2? So, couldn’t you try the same thing, using that?