I need to report the following bugs. I’m running Windows 8.1 64-bit on an Intel Core i7 CPU with 16GB of RAM; a MOTU Audio Express USB audio interface and a Novation 61SL MkII MIDI controller.
There are several small issues and one major issue:
Occasionally, when I boot up the computer, launch Cubase and open a project, when I click ‘Play’ I get no sound at all, and no meters in the mixer are registering anything. When this happens I have to shut down and restart the MOTU Audio Express. After that, everything is fine.
If I am working in the MIDI Key Editor, using the Select cursor, if I attempt to select multiple objects by dragging a box around them, every now and then the window seems to lose focus for a 10th of a second, and all of a sudden I’m not selecting anything anymore (no visible selection rectangle). I have to start the selection operation again. This happens in other windows too, but mostly in the Key Editor.
Also in the Key editor, sometimes if I try to move an object, I click it and it shows it’s selected, but I can’t move it. I have to try sometimes 3-4 times before I can move the object.
Imagine playing say, a bass line on a keyboard. Imagine if every note you played continued to sound even after you have released the key. Well this happens with certain plugins (SI Bass, SI Piano being two of them), but not while recording, but rather during playback. These plugins aren’t highly important though, so I just don’t use them in Cubase, but they work fine in Studio One, Pro Tools and Sonar (they came with Sonar). For the record, I had this issue in the trial of Cubase 7.5.4
This is a little complicated to explain. I have a song with a drum track, 2 bass tracks, an electric piano track (all instrument tracks) and one audio track with a single vocal (mono). Originally, the introduction to this song was an 8-bar drum pattern, so the other instruments and the vocal started at bar 9. There are 8 bars of vocal scatting so the first line of the first verse was at bar 17. I decided the intro was too long so I split that drum intro clip into two, 4-bar clips, deleted the first one and moved all the clips to the left, back to the first bar. The music now kicks in at bar 5 and after the scat, first line of verse 1 now begins at bar 13.
However, when I play the song, the audio clip LOOKS normal, but what I HEAR is the 8 bars of scatting starting at bar 5, then the first line of the first verse at bar 13, and then the first line of the first verse AGAIN at bar 17 and from there it plays normally, but it’s now 4 bars behind the music!
If I move everything back 4 bars to the right, everything plays normally, but of course the song now begins with 4 bars of silence. I tried removing the audio clip and importing it again from the disk, restarting Cubase, and restarting the computer, all to no avail. My only three options are to either live with the 8-bar intro (which is not artistically preferred) or have the song start at bar 5 (with 4 silent bars at the beginning), or simply re-record the vocal, which I’ll probably do.
Before I purchased C8, I had the trial of 7.5.4 and had NO issues. If this can’t get resolved I’m going to attempt the improbable; ask Steinberg for a refund and get a license for version 7.5.4!