[Bug] Shift-B > -1 on a barline deletes the next to the next bar.

I’ve encountered a bug where, if I select a barline, invoke the Shift+B popover and type -1, instead of deleting the following bar, it deletes the bar next to it.
In the attached file, if I select the barline on line 64 and type Shift+B, -1, the bar 65 gets removed, not the 64 as expected.
Oddly enough, if I delete the music on the piano (or if I delete the player altogether) it works as expected.
delete bar deletes next bar.dorico.zip (364 KB)

Well, actually, after returning to my original file and finding problems also copying and pasting, it looks that the bar is removed but it shows a rest instead. If you reload the project, the notes show as they should. Interestingly, I’ve seen this behaviour before in Dorico 3, but I didn’t post about it.

There’s something odd about that bar, as you’ll see if you turn on View > Note and Rest Colors > Voice Colors.
I also note that the problem goes away if you unconsolidate multibar rests (Layout Options > Players > Bar Rests and Multi-bar Rests).

Indeed. And there’s more weirdness. Select the notes from bars 65-67 of the viola. Copy them in bar 64 of the viola but by selecting the rest, not invoking the caret. They don’t get copied there. Instead, they get copied in the piano part, and the note in bar 64 only appears if you save and reload the project.

By the way, I discovered that my voices were a mess with “voice colors”. Great tool, I didn’t know it. This forum is awesome!

Well, this file has a lot of problems like that. In all cases, when that happens, the voice color of the bar rest is black. The bar turns blue as soon as I input a note in it, rather than tying a note from before.

That’s normal. Bar rests don’t display voice colors. At least mine never do.

Ok, that makes sense. I’m new to the function. Thanks!

Actually, when this behaviour occurs, the bar only resets to its working state if I input a note that is shorter than the length of the bar. If I input a whole note in a 4/4, it stays with a bar rest until I save and reopen. If I enter a quarter note, the bar behaves normally.

Hmm - that seems odd to me. (The reason why two of these bar rests are a different colour isn’t worth explaining, though).

I guess they don’t display colors when all bars are in silence, the same way a multi-bar rest doesn’t display colors.

Your bar 65 is a 1-bar multibar rest, displayed without the count “1” above it. That is why it displays in black even when you switch on voice colours.

You can’t select a multibar rest because it isn’t really a “thing”, it’s just a notational shorthand. That is why “B -1” isn’t doing what you expect for bar 64.

You don’t usually want multibar rests in the full score (though you might want them in the viola part) so switch them off in Layout options / Players / Rests and multibar rests. Then “B -1” will work as you expect.

Rob, I have to disagree with you. Generally speaking it is perfectly possible to:
a) delete an empty bar, that is to say a 1-bar multirest, using either Shift+B -1 Enter or the System Track
b) paste into a multirest bar

There is something weird about this project.

I can understand that. There’s a reason why I want the multi-bar rests activated in the score. You’re right that the strange behaviour disappears without the multi-bar rests. Even so, there is some strange behaviour with some of those measures.
In this video I’ve used cmd+alt+shift+(-> or <-) to double/halve the note. The first time I double it, the multi-bar rest doesn’t disappear, and the note is tied to nowhere, even if the note is actually there (if you save and reload, it’s there). If you double again, everything is back to normal. If you then shrink, or even if you undo (I did that later) everything is back to normal too, and you can tell it by the colour code of the voices.
empty bar behaviour when doubling note.zip (109 KB)