Bug? Strange "Link Channel" Utility Behavior

When I use the “link channel” utility to group some channels, it inadvertently links some of Cubase’s input channels and changes the recording level.

This has been happening for some time but so intermittently that I’m not sure in what version it started.

My Setup:
I use the main mixer for playback channels of all kinds (hide input channels). I used to create a second mixer that I used for input channels only (hide all others) but with only one video monitor, the Cubase mixer was too big (and the narrow view had issues not showing clip indicators) So now I use the RME software (DIGIcheck) to monitor my input levels. I no longer have the second Cubase mixer (inputs) visible.

Okay, so I’m doing an overdub with a client, Their track is recording. I often mix while they’re recording (adjust eq on other tracks or adjust playback levels, etc.). So, I have a row of audio faders in the main mixer for my virtual drum instrument (8 of them) and I want to link them so I can adjust all of them at once. So I select the first one, hold down the shift key (Windows) and select the last one, right click and select “link channels”. Great. So, I’m adjusting the drum level up and I notice that the clients keyboard track overdub is getting louder. I look at the project window and the recorded wave form is getting bigger. When the client was done with the take, I opened the second mixer in Cubase (the one I set up for inputs only) and notice that the INPUT faders for the keyboard tracks are not at unity gain but rather all the way up and they are selected and LINKED with the other faders. I didn’t notice this at first because the input channels aren’t visible. Needless to say, I had to do some slicing and releveling to make it right in the mix, all while the client was looking over my shoulder and asking what all that was about.

Anyone else notice this? Am I doing something wrong?

First I’ve never experienced this myself.

I would check two things.

1: Make sure when you select the first channel that you aren’t using Shift or Ctrl select as that would not deselect any previously selected track!

2: Switch Exclude Inputs on from the mixer.

Thanks, Split.

As for your second suggestion, I always have the input channels turned off in my main mixer and these days the second mixer that I created for the inputs isn’t open at all.

With your first suggestion you could be on to something. I will experiment with this. But it seems odd that with a project that hasn’t had the input channels visible at all that day, even after creating and selecting many other channels (output) that somehow the input channels would be selected without them being visible. I’ll be in the studio later to day and your suggestion has shown me a method to verify this.

There are three little bars (switches) at the side of the mixer that sets the destination for mixer commands.

One of them is to exclude input channels.

The switches made no difference. But I have narrowed it down. This was my method. It would be great if someone could reproduce this:

Open an EMPTY project (though you can actually open any kind of project).

Open the VST Instruments rack

Select Halion Sonic SE in the first slot (you can actually select any kind of VSTi that has multiple outputs).

Say yes to “Create MIDI track”

In the VST Instruments rack, activate one additional input for Halion Sonic (you can activate them all if you wish but there has to be at least two activated.

Go to the mixer select an the first output channel (in my case HSSE Main) Then hold down the SHIFT key and select the LAST output channel (HALion Sonic SE 01).

You’ll notice that the FIRST INPUT channel gets selected too. This only occurs when you SHIFT select the LAST channel in the output row in the mixer and ONLY if you have a VST Instrument installed.

If you use CTRL to select the channels individually instead of a series, this behavior doesn’t happen.

This is a very specific behavior but when it happens when I’m tracking, it is potentially disastrous.
Now by default, Cubase just activates the first audio output of a VST Instrument.

This has happened to me too from time to time, quite annoying.