Bug: Track Archives Lose Link Group Names / Combine with Other Groups

When importing a Track Archive, any link group names saved in the archive are replaced with default link group names (e.g., Link 1, Link 2). If those link groups already exist in the project, the imported tracks become members of the link group. If those project link groups were given unique names, the imported tracks are nonetheless combined and adopt the project link group names.

Technically speaking, Cubase appears to be referencing link group indexes without regard for link group names. Consequently, non-default names are lost and link groups with matching indexes are automatically combined.

To resolve:

• Link group names should be preserved when importing track archives.
  • If imported link group indexes match those in the project but their names do not, then Cubase should assign new, unique indexes to the imported link groups.
  • If imported link group indexes and names match, they should be combined or the user should be given the option to combine them with a pop-up dialog box: “Link Group “Kick Drum” already exists in the project. Combine link groups?”

To reproduce the problem:

• Create a new Cubase project with two mono Audio Tracks.
  • Link the Audio Tracks.
  • Rename the link group from the default “Link 1” to “Synth LR”
  • Select the two Audio Tracks and Export > Selected Tracks (to create a Track Archive).
  • Close the project
  • Create a new Cubase project with two mono Audio Tracks.
  • Link the Audio Tracks.
  • Rename the link group from the default “Link 1” to “Piano LR”
  • Import the aforementioned Track Archive
  • Note that the imported tracks are now members of the “Piano LR” link group.

My setup:

• Cubase v10.0.60 Build 396
  • Windows 10 Pro v10.0.19041 Build 19041
  • CPU - Intel Core i7-4930K @ 3.4 GHz 6 cores, 12 logical processors

Thank you for your assistance.

This should be posted in the “Issues” subforum instead of the General subforum.

Ugh. I read the “How to Report a Bug” post too quickly.

Am reposting there now…

Thank you!