Bug: Use video frame rate detection is incorrect

I noticed that my markers were different from the timecode showing in the transport bar after a while, so I checked the video’s frame rate with QT player 7. It says that the fr is 23.98 while the Dorico detector says it’s 24. Choosing 23.98 from the menu in the Video Properties window puts everything back in sync, so the Video Properties frame rate detector seems to have a bug.

In general the frame rate detection is correct, so I think this will depend very much on the specifics of the video itself. If you want us to look into this further you’ll need to send us the video file.

It’s a small Toy story clip from a film scoring course, not sure if I violate any kind of copyrights by sharing it here. I could mail the clip, it’s 8 mb zipped, so not very large.

Here is what I see in the QT info:

Perhaps you could seek the permission of the people who run the course, and then once you have it send it to me.

I have finished the Toy Story clip and started with another video clip. Again I run into syncing problems. According to the info panel in the Quick Time Player and Dorico’s frame rate detection, the fps is 25. So that should be correct. However even though everything worked fine at first, after having worked on the score for a while, the timings started to drift apart. It’s not that they start to drift apart at some point in the score (I checked the full clip when I started and everything was correct), but more after working for a while on this project.

Here is a screenshot of the timings:
Screen Shot 2018-06-04 at 17.36.11.png

Unfortunately without seeing the project and the video we’re powerless to do anything to help. Please send the project and the video to us. You can use WeTransfer.com to send it to me at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.

I have send the file, thanks.

The video sync is rock solid: for your particular project, you need to set ‘Timecode start’ to 00:59:59:01 in the Video Properties dialog in order to make the timecode of the frame labeled 01:00:00:00 in the video match up to the flow start position, but having done that you will find that it’s frame accurate right the way to the end of the video.

It seems to be again a problem that is difficult to reproduce. And as I said in the post, the video plays correctly synced at first with normal playing, but after a while working on the score, it starts to drift apart. Here is how it looks after working for about 4 minutes on the project. Looks like the back and front scrubbing did this:
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 07.42.32.png
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 07.42.43.png

What do you mean by “back and front scrubbing”? Do you mean fast-forward and rewind or moving the playhead? I did a bunch of that, skipping around throughout your project and the video file, and the timecode in the video and in Dorico’s Transport stays completely locked together. Even if there is a drift of a couple of frames, you should find that it gets locked together again when you restart playback.

Yes, forward and backwards moving of the playhead. I opened the project just now and this is what I see, I don’t know if this is because my Mac cannot keep up, but the difference in TC is a lot. Leaving the video play doesn’t correct it:
Screen Shot 2018-06-05 at 20.12.51.png

“00:01:03:85” is not timecode it’s the elapsed project time. You have to change the time display in playback options from elapsed time to timecode.

No, it’s timecode, the elapsed time has 3 digits in the last number. I checked the setting and it’s correctly set to Timecode.
This is how it looks after opening the project without having it played yet:
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 08.02.54.png
Playing it now doesn’t correct it. But when I switch to elapsed project time display and then back to Timecode display, the numbers are correct. It’s reseting everything by doing this:
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 08.03.28.png

You are right, elapsed time is in 00:00:00.000 format. On the other hand, 85 is not a valid frame number, something strange is going on here.

:unamused: yep…

The frame rate is set to 25 in the video properties, which should be reflected in the transport window, so I don’t know what else to do to fix this:
Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 10.53.40.png

Could this issue be about different devices dropping (or conversely, not dropping) frames at the right times?

The topic is arcane, but I found this explanation clear, thorough, and to be recommended:
Timecode and Frame Rates: Everything You Need to Know

No, fortunately not: we do have proper handling for drop frame timecode formats in Dorico 2. This is some kind of problem with the frame rate not being initialised correctly under some circumstances. We’re looking into it and I’m sure we’ll have a fix for it soon.

Just a little update here. Maybe it’s because my video project is getting a little larger, but now every time I open the project, the timecode between the transport window and the video is not the same, playing back doesn’t fix it. The only way to get them match again is by setting Timecode to Elapsed Time and back again in Play/Playback options/Timecode.

Yes, we have already fixed this problem, so it won’t bother you once you get the next update. For the time being, re-setting the playback option is a fine workaround.