Bug: VST inserts slots not loading plug ins

I’m having sporadic trouble loading plug ins in the insert slots. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t . When it doesn’t usually restarting the session usually solves it. Also, some plugs (usually stock) work , but it’s normally a 3rd party, UAD or Waves that refuses to load. Again, with a restart it normally gets sorted.

Hello Steve,

this is a known issue, I’m afraid.

Please see this thread: That "disappearing" plugin thing; still in C9? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums
and this one (much longer): busy mix most plugins will no longer load - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Our internal ref.number is BON-17988. I’m going to move this to ‘collected’ in a while.

Thank you.

Hi Fabio, thanks for letting me know.

Does this mean if I ‘print/commit’ some of my existing plugins to audio then disable the plug, it’ll free up the dll
slots and I’ll be able to add more plug ins to the session?
I have UAD studer plug on a lot of the channels, I could commit then get rid of them.

Hi Steve, sorry, I missed your reply.

If I’m not mistaken you need to unload the plug-ins, just disable it should not unload the slot(s).
If you commit to audio and remove the plug-ins, that will do. You can save Track Versions before doing so, this would allow you to go back, should you need to change something.

You can also remove some unneeded Cubase components as described here That "disappearing" plugin thing; still in C9? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums in order to free up a few slots (this is a small help, though).

Hi Fabio

UAD apparently only have 5 windows users reporting the bug according to support. So their not particularly fussed about porting their software to Dynamic linking

Matt at UAD tells me another DAW company did a workaround (or a doubling of the limit) by having the plugins run in a separate process to the DAW. Its already been discussed that Jbridged Plugins ‘seem’ unaffected or at least double the number of possible unique instance loads. Is this a possible workaround for Cubase?
And then I’m wondering (although I’m not sure its possible) is there a possibility that a separate process could be invoked every time the limit is met so that another 40 instances go into Process 3 and then Process 4 and so on.

Hello,

the status is the same as reported via mail in my reply and posted here: That "disappearing" plugin thing; still in C9? - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Our devs are working on this, but an architectural change is way more complex on a DAW like Cubase than for any plug-ins. But I’d be interested to know which DAW company implemented a workaround and how - could you PM me info or links?

I assume the catch with jBridge is that it does not run inside Cubase, but as a separate process, thus using its own slots.