Bug when you cancel audio export

I notice when you cancel an audio export the Software no longer plays back sound, nor can it export audio until you restart the program.

Thanks for reporting this. You are right and I wonder that this bug did not get discovered for such a long time. I entered it to our bug database and we’ll fix it.

Jacob (or anyone else who experiences that issue),

by the time you reported the problem, I could reproduce the issue, but now all of a sudden not anymore.
Can you still reproduce it? With any project or just specific?
If you can reproduce it, please do an export and after create a diagnostic report and attach here. Thanks.

I was able to reproduce this. Here is a crash report.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (405 KB)

There are 3 crash dumps of the audio engine, but at a first look, I think what you experience is a different issue.
You are using Pianoteq 6 and there is a known issue that it may crash the audio engine, especially during program shutdown.
We have already a fix for it that will come out with an update early next year.
But I’m not 100% sure if it is really that issue, I need to have a closer look on Monday, when back to the office.

I don’t know if this is a related bug, but I have 2 problems with audio export:

1. When exporting more flows at once as wav, the export progress window hangs indefinitely (so I have to cancel the export)
  2. When I press cancel, many functions of Dorico don’t work any more, including audio export, switching to other layouts, and quitting, so I have to force quit Dorico

Here is my diagnostics file (first half, because it’s too large, second half of the file in next post)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.04 MB)

Second half
Dorico Diagnostics 2.zip (1.68 MB)

(Just before I created the diagnostics file, I had this problem again, and last week it happened 5 times or so)

Thanks for the data. Looks like the audio engine was crashing during export. On Monday I’ll take a deeper look at the crash dump and see what I can find.

Hey Ulf,

I’m still able to reproduce the issue easily.

Attached is the Diagnostics Report.
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (1.51 MB)

Thanks for the data, Jacob. First, I see that you are still on Dorico 3.0.0. Could you please update to 3.0.10 and see if it still happens?

If it still happens, please go after the export into Play Mode and invoke the VEPro editor window. If you play with the mouse on the on-screen keyboard, does sound come out?

I am on Dorico 3.01 and the same to me: nearly every time when I cancel the audio export there is any playback at all. When I close Dorico then, there comes the message: (Dorico6.jpg)
I did not cancel an export before all the time.
dorico6.JPG

Okay, that looks like crashes in the audio engine. Could you please choose in Dorico from the menu Help > Create Diagnostic Report? That creates a zip file on your desktop containing logs and crash dumps. Please attach here. Thanks

Here it is.

Thanks guys, for all the provided data. In the meantime I could reproduce the problem here as well, not with every project, but at least I have one where I can reproduce it 100%, on Mac as well as Win, so that is good. Now we can run it in the debugger and look what is going wrong. Today’s the last day in the office for this year, but will continue next year. Happy festive season to everyone!

I dug a little deeper and found out what is happening. Though you press the cancel button, Dorico for itself breaks off the export, but it does not tell the audio engine. So the audio engine goes on until the regular export is done, but while still in export state, Dorico allows users to issue play or other commands what in turn “confuses” the audio engine, so it does not react or might even crash.
Accordingly, until we’ve fixed this, don’t cancel an export and just let it continue to the end. Of course, especially for longer pieces this may be a nuisance, but it is better in order to not bring Dorico into a dodgy state.
But we’ll fix asap. Thanks for your patience.

Thank you for the description of what’s going on and thank you for fixing it.

Does this also explain why exporting wav files often stops after or even before the fitst flow when I’m exporting multiple flows? I find this is happening often, especially when overwriting existing files. then eventually I have to cancel export (and subsequently force quit Dorico).

No, that does not explain w? What you are describing. What exactly is happening in that case? The progress bar just hangs at a certain percentage? Or does an error message pop up? Please elaborate.
Also, do you have project that you can reproduce the issue with?