Bug with rests in tuplets

Hi, I was attempting this workaround to create a 4/4 to 12/8 polymetre.
However, instead of notes, my pick-up bar consists of one note and then a series of rests.
Within the second half of this 4:6 tuplet, Dorico insists on showing me 4 beats of rests (2+1+1) instead of 2 beats, as it should.

If I input a note into the 3rd beat of the tuplet, it goes back to normal. However, if I just leave all the rests in, or if I type something into the 4th beat of the tuplet, it still doesn’t add up.

I’m pretty sure this is a bug, but I’d like to know what you guys think.
And of course, this kind of polymetre should be natively supported ASAP.

I can confirm this: after specifying the 4:6q tuplet in the lower staff, I see 6q worth of rests. If I then enter quarter notes, they show as 4 quarter notes, as intended.
Schermafbeelding 2021-01-15 om 22.44.53
Schermafbeelding 2021-01-15 om 22.46.02
Schermafbeelding 2021-01-15 om 22.46.27
bug4in6tuplet.dorico (392.9 KB)

I’ve been experiencing this also. Most of the time it sorts itself out as I fill the measure, but not always. This is only an issue in the “pick-up” measure.

In one instance, I had to start the new time signature one measure early, hide it, and put a fake time signature (created as a playing technique) in the next measure. However, if the previous measure had not been empty, this kludge would not have been possible.

I believe this has been an occasional problem since Dorico 1.0, but I’ve never been able to pin down a reliable way of reproducing it. You should be able to work around it by inputting rests with Force Duration turned on, if you do need a series of rests rather than notes.

I am experiencing the same problem.

The examples shown are simplified and shortened for the sake of illustrating the behaviour. In the actual project where I have witnessed this phenomenon, the 2/4 sections are part of a full orchestral score for many bars at a time in many different places, often overlapping between instruments. I could use duplet quarter notes, but the score pages would get cluttered fairly quickly and it is an existing classical/romantic piece where I am trying to create the same look as the original.

Using the workaround referred to by clowergen, if I create a pick-up bar showing a time signature of 2/4 within a passage of music in 3/4 (to create the appearance of a bar of 2/4 taking the same amount of time as a bar of 3/4 - effectively a bar of 2 quarter notes against a bar of 3), the duplet bracket (before I eventually hide it) covers an extra half note rest when the note on the second beat of the “fake” 2/4 bar is a 16th note or less, or is a rest. A dotted 16th note or longer produces the desired result.

A separate phenomenon, but which is quite possibly influenced by whatever is causing the first behaviour, is illustrated in the last two images where the very short notes, when dotted, “cause” the half note rest to display two dots.

In addition to the above description, I have devised a workaround to achieve what I wanted, namely a quarter note followed by a quarter-note rest. Prior to this, all I could achieve was a quarter note followed by a quarter-note rest and a half-note rest, with the unwanted half-note rest being caused by some mysterious bug.

Start with a duplet consisting of two quarter notes ( ; 2:3q Enter).
Select the second quarter note of the duplet, press 5 to make it an eighth note and extend the selection to include the eighth-note rest following it.
Create a triplet ( ; 3:2e Enter).
Delete the eighth note (first note of the triplet) and select the rest which is created in its place.
Press O (letter) then 6 to force the rest to a quarter-note duration.
Select the eighth-note rest and choose Edit > Remove Rests.
Select the triplet bracket and delete it.
Select the duplet bracket, show the Properties panel (at the bottom). In the “Tuplets” section, click on “Number” and “Bracket” - this should hide the duplet bracket.
Click on the quarter-note rest.
In the Properties panel, in the “Notes and Rests” section, “Force position and duration” should be selected. If you click that off and on, the extra half-note rest appears and disappears. The quarter-note rest can be raised or lowered using “Rest pos.”. In write mode, the half-note rest does not move with it, even though when you select one or the other rest, both highlight at the same time. In Engrave mode, the rests can be moved separately (assuming that “Force position and duration” is de-selected, causing the half-note rest to show). Before enacting this workaround, any attempt at using “Force position and duration” or “Rest pos.” in the Properties panel resulted in the “Notes and Rests” and “Beaming” sections of the Properties panel disappearing.

It’s a bit of work, but until the errant behaviour is rectified I can at least proceed with my project.

I can reproduce Steven’s discovery. Does this quirky behavior have anything to do with the measure in question being a pickup I wonder?

Just to say that this issue is on our backlog for investigation and (hopefully) addressing in a future version.