Bug with windows?

Windows Pro, Dorico Pro.

I just lost 6 hours of work. I opened another window (“New Window”), edited stuff (changed dynamics on two repeated places) and closed the new window (click top right X). Dorico just closed all windows without any error messages, nothing saved in backup folders. :cry:

How about a reminder like “you have not saved your work in one hour, save now?”

I restarted Dorico and a backup seems to be created now. But it was not updated at all! I set the paths (again) and changed interval to 2 min. Now it seems to update.

Something is amiss. If you try to close without saving, you should indeed get a warning. I don’t know why it didn’t do that, but that’s definitely not normal.

Dorico should have an autosave facility, which will load in the last auto-save when you restart, in the event of a crash. At most, you should have lost a few minutes’ work.
And as Dan says, any unsaved changes should prompt a dialog when closing. Are you sure all the windows of the project were closed, and not just hidden?

Are you sure you’d actually saved the initial project, in a location that Dorico can access (e.g. not just opening the file straight from an email)? If you haven’t saved it in the first place, Dorico won’t autosave it. At least, that’s my understanding.

Dorico will auto-save a file even if it hasn’t been saved yet, but if you somehow manage to close the project and choose not to save any changes, then the auto-save files are deleted at that point. If you had made any saves at all during the time you were working on the project you would also find the last handful of them in the Backup Projects folder in the Dorico Projects folder.

At the moment, when Dorico deletes auto-save files or rotates the files in the Backup Projects folder it deletes them right away, but in future versions we’ll make it such that they are instead moved to the Trash/Recycle Bin so that you can still recover them if need be.

As said, it just closed without any warning.
(and to others: yes the project was not new, it was saved earlier and had a lot of content)

At the moment, when Dorico deletes auto-save files or rotates the files in the > Backup Projects > folder it deletes them right away, but in future versions we’ll make it such that they are instead moved to the Trash/Recycle Bin so that you can still recover them if need be.

Good, thanks.

PS. Cubase has a very steady auto-backup system and also very useful “save new version” command. Could you just use their code? :slight_smile:

Dorico also has both a very “steady” auto-backup feature, and an auto-save feature. I cannot explain the problem you experienced whereby the software did not warn you about unsaved changes. In the hundreds of thousands of times many thousands of users have closed projects, I’ve never heard of this happening until this single case reported by you. Of course I am open to the possibility that there is a bug in Dorico in this area, but if there is, it is a remarkably subtle and hard to reproduce one, which will make it difficult to track down and fix.