BUG: Writing automation in Project Window triggers fader volume change that can't be undone

I CONSTANTLY make this misstake in large projects:

Group tracks in the project window have the volume automation visible by default. When working under stress, I constantly accidently manage to draw a volume change when doing edits on a nearby track, causing the volume fader to jump to that location. Cmd + Z will undo the automation draw, but the fader volume has been altered, and it can’t be undone with regular undo, or the MixConsole undo. Since that can be a channel I haven’t touched in a while, I have to re-balance the mix after that.

The only workaround is manually lock the group for edits, but it’s easy to forget. This is one of the biggest blocker in my workflow for now.

Undoing an automation write should reset the fader to original volume value.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s a known and reported issue.

I think it’s basically best practice at this point to have automation points at the beginning of the timeline for all tracks. So if that’s the case “original value” should be those points. It solves the problem.

Don’t get me started…

Fredo

Don’t get me started on the initial automation point as a workaround either. Automation is so buggy when you then have to use trim, preview mode etc.

I have the same accidents too…when drawing automation on a nearby track, i sometimes accidentally draw automation on the visible group automation line. I am always able to revert the group automation lane back to its original position (0). . I could drag the point back to position…i could use undo…i could click while holding alt to delete those points…So I really don’t understand the issue. I always undo this…I don’t notice any changes in my other tracks when I do so and my fader is always back to its original point. Removing the accidental automation points don’t alter my mix in any way… So am at a loss understanding the real issue.

Could also just drop all groups in a folder and collapse it.

I could drag the point back to position…i could use undo…i could click while holding alt to delete those points…So I really don’t understand the issue.

No you can’t. If the track did not contain any automation before writing the point, pressing undo will indeed remove the automation point, but it will leave the fader at the accidentally written position, not the position it had before. Then you have to re-balance it again and figure out what volume it was before writing the automation point.

That would create an even worse blocker in the workflow when working with sound design where groups are used to navigate the layout of the project window. Locking the group track is the easiest workaround, but it would be better if Steinberg fixed the bug instead.

A simple fix (read: workaround) would be an option in the Prefs to not show any kind of automation on a Group track by default.

@steinberg