Bugs WaveLab Pro 10.0.10 / 10.0.20

If nobody tested DMG, Fabfilter, Sonnox etc. (in a 2020 mastering software) is like not testing the brakes in a car don’t you think? What about the ton of reports about problems and glitches by most of the pro users? We all fall in a special class of users or maybe the beta could be better? We are on OSX that is a “finite” configuration and you are a 30 years experienced team…

I use these plugins daily without a crash. If they are crashing on your system, more info (crash reports, repeatable steps) is needed if you’d like a chance of any solution:

FabFilter
Plugin Alliance
DMG
Sonnox
UAD
oeksound
Tokyo Dawn
Goodhertz
Leapwing
Waves
Eiosis

Hi Justin, as reported on 12th january Equilibrium was freezing the GUI. Today WL crashes while skipping the cursor around montage, with Limitless on output and Sonnox limiter on a single clip. No GUI opened. I’m on a Macpro running Mojave. What else should i say? The session appeared to be stable on 10.0.10. Is not a Windows thing the “variable” of particular cases?

IMHO spending premium $$$$ to stay in OSX with apple original hardware should solve this kind of annoying situations and that’s quite the standard with pro software. Thinking about crash reports, talking about bugs on forums and such is not professional.

Equilibrium was freezing the GUI.

Equilibrium issue then.

Today WL crashes while skipping the cursor around montage,

What do you call “skipping the cursor” ?

Philippe

Philippe, please read what i already wrote before resetting the question or arguing about a user fault.
WL crashes without equilibrium. In any case Equilibrium and other DMG software works flawlessly in any other host and OS.

Justin P says:

If DMG is the problem (only in wavelab) why Justin has no issues?

Again i’m on OSX Mojave, Macpro, not in a fancy Windows configuration that may lead to the classic “user particular case issue”.

BTW “skipping the cursor around” means moving the playhead in the montage between clips.

Just a side question: if a 3rd party developer, say DMG, was faulty why all works fine in Wavelab 9.5 and any other VST host? Is 3rd party team’s work to understand what you do in your DAW or is your job ensuring that what works on previous release will perform correctly in the new one?
VST is a 26 years old Steinberg protocol so is a bit difficult to understand why a Steinberg branded host has so many issues with his own protocol.
Please remember that we are now 120 days from release date. The thing is particularly annoying.

I understand that you are not satisfied, but putting the responsibility of a crash on WaveLab when any plugin is used, is not a solution. There must be 100x more plugins than DAWs, hence it’s more feasible to a plugin creator to test with all DAWs than the inverse.
When there is a crash, we generally get a crash log. If you get one, you can send it to me in PM. I can have a look and, maybe, get an idea about the origin of the problem. But note: most of the time, this is finally a crash happening deep inside the plugin, hence has to be forwarded to the plugin manufacturer.

Again i’m on OSX Mojave, Macpro, not in a fancy Windows configuration that may lead to the classic “user particular case issue”.

Well, in general they are less problems reported on Windows than on Mac, for about the same amount of users on both platforms.
While Mac hardware is great, on the operating system side, this is another story. One reason is that Microsoft is very serious about compatibility from Windows version to version, while Mac has a “tradition” to break compatibility from time to time.
One recent example if the OSX Metal Graphics implementation, that has caused problems in a number of plugins.
Even on the hardware side: the old great generation of Mac Pro, sold until 2013 (“track can” version advent), are not compatible with OSX 10.15.

Philippe,
we are in a loop.
The first day of release i downloaded WL10 upgrade trusting the team and the Brand. I was on Sierra and WL10 was compatible only from Mojave. So october 2019 was the right time for upgrade to Mojave and i did it, updating too Avid etc (that works like a tank as usual). So the first assumption that OSX may be a problem falls apart since you released a software that has been coded with a specific OS version in mind. I adopted the requested OS and not attempted to adapt software to an unsupported OS or hardware. If many reports, as you know, are about basic issues, audio performance, freezes, crackles, graphic behavior, problems with Izotope, DMG etc. is not a user fault nor 3rd party developer fault since you sell an upgrade to an existing software that works with VST, Izotope, DMG, etc. After the upgrade we need to talk about why the “updated” (better, more modern) version no longer works? You should put a big disclaimer in the upgrade page that says you do not guarantee that the newer version is compatible with third party VSTs correctly working on actual release and the overall performance may be worse than actual release. So upgrade under user own responsibility. At the end of the day i think that the only reasonable conclusion and admission from you (team) is that you did this release on a rush or the beta has been taken too lightly and not arguing about us pro users saying that we are all particular cases, we should send PMs with crash reports or we shouldn’t expect flawless operations 120 days from release.

you did this release on a rush

Not at all. Only green lights from our side with satisfied testers. That does not mean there is not a single problem left.

Philippe

ok, i get it. So our user experience of crashes, bug reports, plugin misbehavior and general sense of unreliability is our fault since we are probably unable (mentally) to meet the requirements of this green light release (in some cases using certified Apple hardware able to render 8k video in real time or manage 100 tracks 96k session in native). Assuming that is the truth and happens with this release of this particular software and not with any other major competitor in the market (including your previous release) is a bad idea to revise your green light parameter height to ensure enjoyment by less capable users like us?
Thanks for the patience, i’ll be back on May to see if something new happens.

Not sure if it’s already known, but I noticed another strange thing in Wavelab Pro 10.0.20 (and it was probably in 10.0.10, too).
There seems to be a “delay” when stopping playback. When I press [spacebar] (or stop playback any other way), the green playback cursor stops as expected, and all the meters and scopes do as well, but the audio itself keeps playing for serveral milliseconds until it also stops.

I think this is a latency-dependend issue, as I discovered this while using several plug-ins. For example I’m using the iZotope RX7 Spectral Denoiser plug-in (with settings that induce a high latency of 1800 ms according to the plug-in), and the “delay” until the audible playback actually stops after stopping playback feels like these 1800 ms.
It seems to occur within the audio editor and in montages, with high-latency plug-ins loaded in the master section or as effects in a montage.
I also tested this with integrated Steinberg plug-ins (RestoreRig, for example), and they also induce this “delay”.
I tested this with the Generic ASIO Driver (ASIO-Guard 10ms, and 10ms audio-buffer) and with my TEAC ASIO Driver (512 samples buffer).
And it doesn’t matter whether the plug-in (or the whole master/effect section) is active or bypassed, the “delay” always occurs, as long as the plug-in exists in the chain.

This phenomenon doesn’t occur in Wavelab Pro 9.5.5 (tested with both ASIO drivers and with MME).

Set this option if you want audio to stop asap:

Else, like in other DAW, the audio streaming continues, which means it depends on the latency (the audio in the plugins need to be flushed).
Also, this option needs to be off if you would like to listen to reverb tail after stop.

Hello, I just updated to 10.0.20 and there is still this bug !!!

When I’m Rendering> Multiple Outputs> All Clip Groups> it mixes together all the different groups that are in separate stereo tracks (one above the other). That was not happening in version 9.5. It was exporting separate audio files and not mixing all the different groups all together!

Another problem I have with the Filebrowser. When you choose some folder from your favorite list> go deep into the sub-folders> press again the same folder from your favorite list> and it is not going back to your favorite folder level. It stays deep in sub-folders.
9.5. when you press your favorite folder from the list it always jumps back to that folder and it does not stuck somewhere deep in the sub-folders.

I hate these silly bugs in v10 gui which bother me 20times per day. Great downgrade.

Running OSX 10.13.6 (17G10021)

Ahh! Interesting! Yes, it works.
Hmm… and now I wonder why I didn’t hear the streaming continuation in my WL 9.5 … because this checkbox was unchecked (there is only 1 box for fade-in and fade-out together in WL 9.5), and it doesn’t seem to make a difference whether it’s checked or unchecked (tring again with the iZotope plug-in). It doesnt really matter, since I’m working with WL 10, … but it’s strange.

This option was in fact fixed “On” in WaveLab 9.5.

Found another bug:

INSPECTOR > Track Color > Reset Default Color !!! does not work !!!

INSPECTOR > Save Plug-in Chain >

1. when plugins selected from the list > Menu > Remove selected Plug-ins from selected track > NOTHING will happen
  2. when I’m saving the plugins chain the parameters of each plugin are not stored. (e.g. adding effect to MasterRig chain) And even worse effects are not stored with default parameters but with some unwanted parameters.
  3. when I’m overwriting the .plugs file with new settings there is no confirmation dialog that I’m overwriting the old file.

All these things were nicely working in Effects window in version 9.5

I would appreciate any comment from Philippe (PG).

INSPECTOR > Track Color > Reset Default Color !!! does not work !!!

Right. Will be fixed in 10.0.30

1. when plugins selected from the list > Menu > Remove selected Plug-ins from selected track > NOTHING will happen

There is not such function, but there is “Remove selected Plug-ins from selected clips
This only works if the Clip Tab is active. I agree the function should be disabled otherwise.

1. when I’m saving the plugins chain the parameters of each plugin are not stored. (e.g. adding effect to MasterRig chain) And even worse effects are not stored with default parameters but with some unwanted parameters.

Right but there is a work around: close the plugin window before save the plugin chain window.
Will be fixed in 10.0.30

1. when I’m overwriting the .plugs file with new settings there is no confirmation dialog that I’m overwriting the old file.

Was the same in 9.5. But in 10.0.30 there will be a warning.

Philippe