Burning 13 tracks of silence

Tonight I built a montage (just like I have done many times before) using a client’s audio files. The montage plays perfectly. When I burn the CD, I get 13 tracks of silence. Embarrassing in front of the client. :frowning:

I have a checkmark in the box to bypass the master section.

I loaded a montage from last week, and burned a CD from it without changing a single setting. The montage and the CD both play just fine.

I reselected the new montage without changing anything. Montage plays fine. The CD burned from it contains another 13 tracks if silence.

I carefully compared all the relevant settings I know of between the two projects and can’t find anything different.

So far I have burned 5 coasters trying to figure this out.

This is extremely frustrating. I would greatly appreciate a suggestion.

Did you try creating a ddp and then importing it? You would at least know if the problem is on the burning side or the montage side.

Is that a bypass during listening, burning or both? Try to keep circumstances identical between listening and burning. So if burning with master section not bypassed results in audio, your problem must be in the master section (or the bypassing of it).

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Did you try creating a ddp and then importing it? You would at least know if the problem is on the burning side or the montage side.

Yes. The imported file looks right, plays perfectly and burns silence, just like the original. Not sure what this tells me.

Is that a bypass during listening, burning or both? Try to keep circumstances identical between listening and burning. So if burning with master section not bypassed results in audio, your problem must be in the master section (or the bypassing of it).

I burned the disks with bypass mastering box checked in the Burning dialog box. I later removed my Waves L316 from the mastering section (the only plugin present) and burned another with the bypass box unchecked, same result.

How can I tell (other than listening) whether the master section is bypassed during listening, and how can I set it either way?

OK. I found the toggle to bypass the master section during playback. The master section is empty. The montage plays perfectly and sounds the same both with and without passing through the mastering section.

Disks of the same montage have all tracks present, all CD text displayed, and all tracks of pure silence, both with and without the master section bypassed during burning.

This behavior is the same whether using the original montage or the one created from the ddp file made from the montage.

I can’t think of anything else to try.

Suggestions?

As I said previously, I burned another (different) project after this happened with normal results. I’ve already sent the ddp off for replication. I’m worried.

So creation of the DDP is successful. That leaves your burner, more or less… Strange, from what you wrote it does write the TOC, and also 13 tracks with only silence. But are they really 13 tracks of silence, or is only the TOC written? Can you skip forward and actually leave, say, track 6 playing for a while? This would really be strange.

Did you check the CD in the montage for Red Book compatibility? It’s a wizard type symbol in the CD tab of the montage.

Yes, I can navigate just like a normal CD. And When I extract and save a track, it comes in with the correct length, and the audio is a flatlined. How could it be the burner, when I can burn other projects which play normally?

Did you check the CD in the montage for Red Book compatibility? It’s a wizard type symbol in the CD tab of the montage.

Yes, it reports the track list is valid, and shows the correct length of the project.

Yeah, missed that one. Ofcourse it can’t be, then. I’m all out of ideas, except rebuilding the same montage from scratch…

If the ddp could be re imported correctly, you should not worry.

Btw, maybe the cd is ok but the problem is on the cd grabing side?

An update,

Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions.

I successfully burned a workable CD on another machine using the original ddp file. (sigh of relief!) I still can’t figure what’s going on in my studio machine, as it still works fine on other projects.

Btw, maybe the cd is ok but the problem is on the cd grabing side?

Actually, the CDs I burned played silence on a commercial CD player and a Blu-Ray player, too. I could see the counter increasing, and pure silence. Hey, maybe I could market these disks for relaxation! Maybe that would work for somebody. :wink:

PS. I’m going to try rebuilding the montage tomorrow and I’ll report my results here. Thanks for that suggestion.