Buying the HSO 16-bit edition

There are two different activation codes listed for HSO 16-bit on the online shop:

1. HALion Symphonic Orchestra - VST Sound Instrument Set (Activation Code)
    Activation Code to permanently activate your copy of HALion Symphonic Orchestra - VST Sound Instrument Set that came with Cubase 6. It does not work with Cubase 5

\
  2. HALion Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit Edition (Activation Code)
    Activation Code to permanently activate your copy of HALion Symphonic Orchestra (HSO) 16-bit Edition that came with Cubase 5 or Cubase Studio 5.

As I currently own C5, I want #2. But it was my understanding that if I upgrade to C6, that the C5 HSO license will work with the C6 Soundset. Is that true? As it seems silly to offer a C6 only license in that case. (i.e. #1 works on C6 only, but #2 works on C5 & C6)

Ron

1 is just for the soundset, not the plug.

Right - I understand that.

The C5 license (#2) is for the HSO plugin and the associated 16-bit library.

#1 is for the sound set that is used with Sonic SE on C6.

However I’m positive that I read that if you own #2 (HSO plugin 16-bit edition) and upgrade C5 to C6 that the HSO licesnse you already own will work with the C6 Sonic soundset.

Currently searching the forums to see if I can find where I read that.

Ron

Found it:

HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set

Cubase 6 contains a 60-day fully functional trial version of the HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set, providing a wealth of acoustic orchestral instruments at their best. The trial version can be upgraded online to a permanent license at a very special price — exclusive for Cubase 6 customers. > Existing HSO users will be excited to find out that they can use HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set with their existing license as a free update right away! > Capturing every nuance and detail of a full palette and dynamic range of strings, brass, woodwind and percussion instruments, this library includes an almost inexhaustible range of articulations and expressive playing technique, directly accessible in HALion Sonic SE and Cubase 6 — thanks to VST Expression 2.

Hello, Ron,

in case you already have a licence for HALion Player (or HALion Sonic), it absolutely doesn’t matter which of those two licences you buy because the HSO 16-bit content is technically playable also in HALion Player and each of the licences you mentioned will cover both the sound contents (HSO 16-bit as well as HSO VST Inst. Set).

Best regards

Miloslav

that seems to be correct, providing you spend an additional 200 bucks for the halion sonic license :frowning:

the way i understand it!

You understand it wrong…
As already posted in Ron Garrison´s quote, the HSO soundset works with HalionSonic SE, which is included in Cubase 6…

o.k.
thanks!

So are you saying that I can just download the HSO vst sound set and play them on Halion Player?

Ok, I just found the answer to that question. I cannot load the HSO sound set into HP.

Hello, Will,

no, the HSO VST Instrument Set cannot be loaded into HP, that’s true. However, the sound content (the HSB files) that came with the HSO 16-bit edition can, indeed, be loaded into and played with HP.

Miloslav

Wow, ok, that’s good to know. Thanks Miloslav! While you are here, can you please look at my other post in the HP section? I’m still having problems.

Hello Miloslav,
I never updated my license for the trial version of HSO so I can’t load those samples. Guess it’s another 99usd to use those.

Hello, Will,

of course, you need either the licence for HSO VST Instrument Set or the licence for the HSO 16-bit sound content. But once you have HALion Player and one of those licences, you should be able to load and play the HSO 16-bit content in HALion Player. At least, it works for me: I have the licence for HALion Sonic (which subsumes HALion Player) and the licence for HSO VST Instrument Set and I am able to play the HSO 16-bit content in HALion Player, instead of the HSO plugin.

Miloslav

So to understand you correctly:

1. C5 - you never bought the HSO Samples for Halion 3 OEM plugin.
  2. C6 - you bought the license for the HSO SonicSE Sound Instrument Set

Is that correct?

I believe that if you bought the C5 HSO Samples for Halion 3 OEM Plugin, then the license for that also works on the C6 HSO SonicSE Sound Instrument set.

However its not clear to me if the reverse is true. i.e. you buy a license for the C6 HSO SonicSE Sound Instrument Set, I’m not sure if that same license will validate the C5 HSO Halion 3 OEM plugin. In fact if my assumptions in 1 & 2 above are accurate then you are saying that license will not work. This is also what the steinberg online shop seems to indicate.

Ron

Is there any advantage for you to host the HSO samples in HP instead of HSO plugin?

So you say that the C6 license for the HSO VST Instrument Set works with the C5 HSO 16-bit sound content with Halion Player?

I wonder why the online store says the following?

HALion Symphonic Orchestra - VST Sound Instrument Set (Activation Code):

Activation Code to permanently activate your copy of HALion Symphonic Orchestra - VST Sound Instrument Set that came with Cubase 6. > It does not work with Cubase 5> .

Talk about Steinberg making things confusing…
Ron

I think Miloslav was saying that he has both VST sound set and H Sonic licenses and that enables him to play the HSO samples in HP. In my case, I hadn’t updated HSO trial that came with CS5 so I’m unable to play the HSO samples that are already located on my HD in HP.

Actually I think he’s saying that he only has the H Sonic license and that license enables him to play both the HSonic Content as well as the Halion Player HSO content.

Steinberg clearly states that if you already own the HPlayer HSO Sound Set that it will also work on the HSonic VST Instrument Set.

They do not clearly state the other way around. It would make sense for them to do it the other way around but they certainly don’t make it clear.

Ron

Hi Ron,
I feel Miloslav is saying he has both. Check this portion of his quote.

But like you said, SB does not make it easy to understand.