Bypass from Insert slot not working on some plugins

I first noticed this last week with iZotopes Neutron Visual Mixer and thought it was specific to that plugin, that is when clicking the bypass icon in the Insert slot in the Track Inspector the bypass did not engage and the slot did not gray out. The bypass in Cubase’s wrapper within the plugin works, but not the Insert slot bypass. Tonight I ran into the same thing in the Control Room Inserts with SuperVision. Can’t bypass from Insert slot but can from within plugin. Oddly, when bypassed from within the plugin, the bypass can be turned off from the Insert slot, but not turned on.
This seems reproducible in that I checked Neutron Visual Mixer again tonight and got the same behavior as last week.
Cubase Pro 12.0.52
Win 10 Pro 1909

VST3 bypass has to be implemented in plugin. If a plugin does not support that, Cubase cannot bypass it. Some izotope do not have the function, it’s up to plugin vendors.
SuperVision has no bypass function, the switch on the GUI is enable/disable not bypass, which is a host function and thus appears to every VST3. (Bypass is automatable while enable/disable is not and guarantees to free up CPU usage and plugin latency.)
To enable/disable from the mixer, alt(option)+click on the switch.

1 Like

Hi TW. Thanks for clearing that up. I think I knew somewhere in the back of my head about bypass vs. enable, but I didn’t know about the VST3 bypass situation.
Peace

1 Like

Not necessarily. This answer is somewhat incorrect. In Ableton I can bypass any plugin without issue. Sometimes the burden can be on the software devs to innovate in ways. In this case most daws I’ve used aside from cubase have no issue handling bypass internally so there should be some attention in this area. Trying to use the Zebrify effect in cubase does not allow you to bypass at all. Meaning you can not automate the effect off via bypass only leaving another daw as the only option for this specific situation.
This is not good in 2024*
Whatever daw I chose in this day. I shouldn’t need to leave it ever to perform a simple function such as turning off an effect via automation. Very bad look

Whatever daw plugin I chose in this day. I shouldn’t need to leave it ever use another to perform a simple function such as turning off an effect via automation.

This is such a riddle lol. I’ve read it about 30 times and I’m no closer to understanding it’s subtext :sweat_smile:

The VST SDK incorporates a Bypass parameter, ie. the host is telling the plugin that the user wants to bypass/un-bypass. The plugin manufacturer needs to “switch on” support for that parameter in their code.

I see. So what do you think would allow Ableton, fl, bitwig those are the ones I’ve tested so far the ability to do this with the same plugin that will not allow in Cubase?
So it’s the plug-in in Cubase?
Which means Ableton and the others have found a way around that to make it easier for the consumer and the plug-in dev?
You seem to know a lot more than me so interested to see why you think it’s possible in others.

If it is as you say than the other DAWs realize the bypass on their side (host side). This is, of course, also possible. It is a different architecture of the signal handover from host to plugin.
There is at least one more feature that Steinberg built into the VST specs and that according to them should be taken care of by the plugin but other DAWs programmed it to make it happen on the host side: show automation lane for touched parameter. If you want to quickly open the automation lane of a plugin parameter in Cubase the plugin needs to support it in its context menu. In other DAWs the host remembers the parameter with the last user input and displays that.

What we have here on a philosophical level: Steinberg has lost the market power to dictate everybody else how to use VST. They have ideas for VST and there are some nifty features in the VST3 specs but most plugin developers ignore these because these features are not present in AU and AAX and the plugins get developed on a framework that supports the smallest common denominator.

But - coming back to the technical side and the bypass - this is so easy to integrate that you as a customer should really put the pressure on the plugin developer for being lazy or neglectful in this particular area.

2 Likes