C-11: Delay is Irregular in First Bar After Bypass Automation

That depends on which plugin you use. As said, bypass in vst3 is all up to the plugin itself.

Ah Louis, I think you have the ā€œsuspend vst3 plugin processingā€¦ā€ option enabled in the preference.
That makes the behaviour you are describing. -edit- For stock VST3 delays of course.

Then I perfectly described the OP issue.

No, the Suspend option is for when it isnā€™t bypassed and when the input signal is zeroā€¦

But that affects this outcome. Stock VST3 plugins stop processing when bypassed when this option is enabled.

Try this simple setup, playback any sequence with a stock delay - MonoDelay in this case, set feedback to 80% or so. Playback and press bypass during the sequence. After the sequence stops, wait for some seconds then press unbypass.

If the preference option is;

ON - you will hear feedback
OFF - silence

@TakashiWatanabe and @Louis_R - Iā€™ll try to digest your discussion, but being a bit dense, it may take a bit. In the meantimeā€¦ whudahell is ā€œCubendoā€? Term of endearment for Cubase? :cowboy_hat_face:

@TakashiWatanabe Pointless test. What you hear is the feedback from before bypass that keeps goingā€¦ Why donā€™t you simply set it to 100% so it never ends ? This way we could say that, yeah, it does what you say, but in fact no, sorryā€¦
Suspend is for when thereā€™s no signal.

@Newsoniclight Haha, thatā€™s Cubase + Nuendo = Cubendo :laughing:

1 Like

Well, did you try the screenshot above? Did you press bypass during the sequence, i.e. 1.3.1.0 or so and wait for the sequence to end then unbypass?
The switch affects the outcome as I wrote. If the option is ON, the delay gets the last buffer and delays the signal. If OFF, just silence as expected.
This had been always like this since the option is added. Also with other problems (mainly side chain), I always advice musicians to keep it off.

Please stop, your test is nothing more than pointless, you are sending the audio before bypassing the pluginā€¦
:rofl:

Actually, would you mind sharing a video with audio so we can see it in action ?
Itā€™s been 10 minutes Iā€™m trying to compare with Suspend On and Off and the outcome is the same, plugins cut the input on bypass no matter what, the only thing is does is reducing the CPU usage when thereā€™s no signal. Maybe I am doing it wrong ?

More than 2 weeks laterā€¦

I found a for-now workable solution to the initial problem (using Bypass automation): use Mix automation instead and set it to 0% where one wants fx to be bypassed. It doesnā€™t create glitchy artifacts. So far so good.