C_6.5 Steinberg Audio Power Scheme (SAPS) CPU overheat

Hi,

I installed 6.5 on my new machine:-

• Win7 x64
  • 8GB RAM
  • RME Babyface
  • Intel 2.4GHz i7-3630QM Quad

… and when I enabled SAPS the CPU went crazy, and almost hit 90 degrees C, even though CPU(s) load was below 10%.

I understand it’s been stated that in Win8 this should be turned off. All I need to know is if this is caused by an issue with my CPU.

I know other people have had the same issue.

Is there any info to indicate that my CPU may be at fault here?

90° C sounds a bit over the top with a load of just 10%. Laptops however are more likely to get hot since the cooling is usually not sufficient enough to run the CPU on max frequency and high load over long time periods.

If you are serious about it and/or you experience problems with the SAPS switched off you can download software and manually disable CPU stepping but set the frequency multiplier to a value lower than maximum (also this is good for testing purposes, increase the multiplier gradually from the lowest setting and monitor the CPU temp, if at one setting the temperature jumps abnormally, it might indicate a problem with the CPU) If you still have shaky performance in Cubase, you could then try to disable the power saving features of your GPU if you can find info on how to do that.

/A

100 deg C is not unusual for laptops. Some have set points for throttling and shutdown around 105-110. The Core i7 does run pretty hot. The MOBO SHOULD be designed to protect the CPU from overheating. There are entire websites devoted to CPU temps, monitoring them, controlling them, etc. Personally, I don’t use SAPS all the time, only when recording audio and I want the lowest latency possible. When I am mixing I just raise the buffer size or freeze VST instruments if my ASIO load gets too high (with the SAPS off)
HTH
J.L.

Thanks for the reply…

With SAPS disabled the CPU seems to work just fine, and I don’t appear to be having issues outside of this.

I guess if there appears to be other abnormalities I could try your suggestion, but to be honest I really wouldn’t know how to start doing what you suggested.

Is it an easy process?

(ahh! double post. can’t delete previous)

Thanks for the reply…

With SAPS disabled the CPU seems to work just fine, and I don’t appear to be having issues outside of this.

I guess if there appears to be other abnormalities I could try your suggestion, but to be honest I really wouldn’t know how to start doing what you suggested.

Is it an easy process?

Hey,

It sounds like with a 2nd gen i7 quad you’re not getting issues. Which concerns me a bit …

It is POSSIBLE that you could have either a bad CPU fan OR a poor thermal paste -> heat sink connection. The fan should be easy to check but the heat sink is not easy to check.
J.L.

Thanks for the info.

So it sounds like the best way to check will be just to see if the fan does it’s job properly (the fan seems ok tbh, as slowed right down when SAPS was disabled), or I get any more unusual overheating issues(?)

SAPS definitely increases CPU power, and therefore heat. Get a third party cooler (if a desktop machine), or a USB cooling pad with fans if a laptop. I ditched my silent grafix card which only had a heatsink, and added one with 2 fans.

I was hitting 70 deg with SAPS, AND 35 TO 40 WITHOUT! Now it averages around 50, maybe 55 with SAPS, if its a warm day outside, so its a significant drop in temp to have mre airflow and proper cooling in the case. I put a small hole in the wall for cabling so i could move my i7 pc to the adjacent room which means i can record with LDC’s with NO loud PC fans having a party in the background.

With the Pending C7 release, i noticed the SAPS has been removed from preferences. Although the prefs page in C6.5 says to go to the knowledge base for more info on SAPS, this info is not anywhere to be found.

Can anyone describe exactly what the SAPS does in detail? (what it turns on and off?).
When i engage SAPS, it also greatly reduces the noise (hums and guitar related pc noise), so i will miss it.

For sure - it’s seem to be under control now.

There’s an extra fan ‘boost’ I can enable on my laptop for CPU load like this. When it’s on, the battery is out, and the machine is well ventilated - it seems to operate well within the Max CPU temp (105c).

That is good info regarding the C7 use or non-use of SAPS. I don’t use it currently and have no issues with heat or audio record/playback. I have switched on all my cores for even power distribution, too.

What I think SAPS attempts to do is perform a quick down and dirty computer setup that would ‘streamline’ things for DAW use. And I am not sure that jacking up processor use is actually streamlining things! In the end, I think a manual setup makes for a better DAW. :slight_smile: