C10 Pro - Punch in dropout

Hi,

New C10 Pro user here. I’m getting a really bad audio dropout when punching in, is that normal? It’s really off-putting. I’m using Windows 10 Pro.

Thanks,
Bod.

Hi,

Could you try to increase Buffer Size of your Audio Device? Does it help?

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the response. I discovered that I’d got Control Room switched on, so turned it off and it’s much better, but there’s a definite “switch” possibly only 10ms where the audio drops out when punching in/out. Changing the buffer size does nothing to improve it. It’s similar when creating a send within the channel - a slight dropout when adding it and then again when switching it on.

Hi,

Do you use any plug-in in the Control Room?

Hi,

No, and it’s switched off now.

Here’s a quick video of what I mean. It could, of course, just be by design and the same on everybody’s system, but I’m finding it really annoying that I can’t add a send during playback without the audio playback for all channels glitching.

Hi,

Cubase is compensating the latency of every single plug-in. So if you add a plug-in with latency to the signal chain, Cubase has to “shift” the track ahead a bit, to make sure the CPU has enough time to process the signal. The same is, when you remove the plug-in, Cubase shifts the track a bit to the right, so everything is perfectly in sync again.

Therefore you get the drop-out.

OK, thanks. Technically, I’m not adding a plugin, I’m routing the signal to a plugin that already exists in a FX track.

Sadly, if this is the way Cubase works, it looks like my relationship with it is going to be pretty short-lived. I own Reaper and Reason, and have recently demoed S1 and Ableton Live and literally all of them can handle adding/removing a send while playing back without a dropout.

Thanks for you help Martin. All the best.

Bod.

Yes, so the track has one more plug-in in the path, then before. Before it was without the plug-in, after the plug-in is involved, so the track itself has to be shifted, right?

Is the signal sample-accurate afterwords? How do they handle the latency, which has been added to the signal?

To be perfectly honest, I don’t know, and it’s never been a problem for me when using them day-to-day. However, I do know that it’s a usability issue if it’s expected that all changes need to be handled outside of playback mode or otherwise interrupt audio.

Anyway, thanks again for your help Martin. It’s appreciated.

Hi,

Out of curiosity, I just tried the same in Cubase 8 (if it would work there without a drop-out, I would consider this as a bug in Cubase 10), and it was even much worse there.