C12: Consider waiting for the dust to settle

Just a bit of friendly advice from a long time Cubase fan. Why not wait a bit (e.g. 1-4 weeks) before downloading and using C12. This will help avoid overloading the system and, as with most software, if you download and use C12 in the first few weeks you will be are effectively acting as a “Public Beta Tester”. The rest of us will appreciate your efforts if you take this role on, however, before you do you should consider the risks and whether you want to spend the time.

As I’ve said before, I find Cubase is a great program and the programmers seem 1st class. However, with so many variations of computers, interfaces and VSTs; it is not hard to see that things could go wrong. I have found that 1 or 2 weeks is all it takes for things to settle down. Over the years most of my upgrades have been painless and every one has been well worth the money.



You still can use C11 after installing C12, they have their own icons.

Only issue is losing <1GB of drive space having both installed. Which you can remove at a later date when happy.

Couldn’t agree more! That way it’s possible to avoid any licensing server issues as well as any initial bugs. There’s rarely anything that’s so vital it’s worth downloading straight away. I’m going to see how things pan out in the next few days / weeks and depending on how good things are I may install then , or wait for the first point release.

1 Like

True enough, although there was the one time where downloading the new version somehow prevented the use of the old version. It was pretty ugly! :frowning_face:

Why not wait a bit (e.g. 1-4 weeks) before downloading and using C12.

Totally agree. Just look at all the messages posted in the last few days about all the problems and things that aren’t working in C-12. It’s ridiculous. I have no idea why so many people are so eager to be beta testers on this new software but I assume these are mostly hobbyists who don’t care if they lose productive time ironing out all the teething problems in the new code.

If you can do your work in Cubase 11 ; meet your project deadlines, satisfy your clients, etc, then there’s no reason to rush to try out Cubase 12 and risk losing hours or days of precious work time. Let other people find the bugs!

Ridiculous? Bit harsh. I think everyone accepts that a production studio should wait. Steinberg test their products. They rely on people buying them early and testing them too. I’ve used Cubase for 20+ years and in the last 5 years the updates have been largely painless. I plan on doing what I usually do - backup the entire audio drive, install it and see how it goes. If there are problems I restore the snapshot. I do that regularly though, because Windows is rubbish, but I need PCIe. We should really thank early adopters - they take the arrows for the settlers.