C12+ Loud Hum

Hello,

I took delivery of a C12+ from Steinberg today and it works well. However, even after I have installed the latest drivers from Steinberg’s website, I get a very loud 50hz hum with my AKG C3000 microphone.

I’ve tried 4 different cables but it still persists when recording into my laptop in the UK.

Can anyone recommend a good ‘hum eliminator’ that will allow me to plug my C3000 into it via XLR and then out into Cubase 6?

Thanks

50hz indicates Mains hum. Check if your cables are running past a powersupply or powerleads.

Hi,

Yes - it’s definitely mains hum at 50hz. It doesn’t matter where I record (in my studio or in the house) it is still there.
So, what I’m asking is:

‘Can anyone recommend a good ‘hum eliminator’ that will allow me to plug my C3000 into it via XLR and then out into Cubase 6?’

Thanks

Hi,

First, if you know this hum is at 50hz, try cutting that frequency with EQ. That may have undesirable results depending on what you are miking, though. Check these out.

1. Voxengo Redunoise - Voxengo This one works pretty well; but you’ll need a high-end computer to pull this one off: beware of audio dropouts. This is a 31 day trial, about $100 for the real thing.

2. Wavelab has some of the most effective denoisers on the market. I would check out the trial, and possibly consider getting Elements 7.

PM sent.

Thanks folks - I’ll give Voxengo a try. But, I’d prefer to eliminate the hum at source.

Cheers,