C13: Consider waiting for the dust to settle

This is an update of the suggestion I’ve made for previous versions. (You are, of course, free to ignore the advice, disagree with it, comment on my intelligence or disparage my parentage if it makes you feel better)

Just a bit of friendly advice from a long time Cubase fan. Why not wait a bit (e.g. 1-4 weeks) before downloading and using C13. This will help avoid overloading the system and, as with most software, if you download and use C13 in the first few weeks you are effectively acting as a “Public Beta Tester”. The rest of us will appreciate your efforts if you take this role on, however, before you do you should consider the risks and whether you want to spend the time.

As I’ve said before, I find Cubase is a great program and the programmers seem 1st class. However, with so many variations of computers, interfaces and VSTs, it is not hard to see that things could go wrong. I have found that 1 or 2 weeks is all it takes for things to settle down. Over the years most of my upgrades have been painless and every one has been well worth the money.



Double edged debate this, as some will argue software should be delivered fully tested before release. For example, The gui bug in C13’s interface should have been dealt with before release. This isnt something Steinberg found out on release day as its preset in the release notes. So things like this many users will say shouldnt be there. On a flip note i can see your point but i doubt very much users will take note becuase everybody loves a new toy!


Sound advice to wait for a while upon any new release.
The problem is tho if everybody was to do it would the bugs be still there waiting .

Reading so many posts highlighting problems, I am not looking to upgrade any time in the near future and looking through the forum gives the impression that this update has become a paid beta test?
I don’t want to criticise the Dev’s etc. as I honestly believe the OP’s final para. regards to the Dev’s
“However, with so many variations of computers, interfaces and VSTs, it is not hard to see that things could go wrong”. QED.

One of the questions that might need to be asked is should Steinberg extend some form of compensation to the folk that took the plunge.

I am NOT one of the the early adopters but feel inclined to ask this on their behalf,
as I am sure many of the loyal Cubase users, who have taken the CB13 would have their faith reinsated and that Steinberg values their custom if some compensatory measure was given.
Regards to all,

1 Like

I buy/download right away…

  1. I’ve never noticed server load issues.

  2. Previous Cubase/Nuendos still installed.

  3. Immediacy lets me nose around/experiment even if glitches are present.

I like that Cubase 13 out of the gate was 13.0.10. I shudder to think what 13.0.0 was like :slight_smile:

I have lots of gui glitch issues with 13…so I’m basically still on 12 for day-to-day.

Plus, I now have a bit of pre-warning of what Nuendo 13 may be like when I download that one on the first day :slight_smile:


Yes, this is the key. Beta tests are inherently limited, so, sooner or later, rolling out a product to a wider base will expose issues, related to those variations – not just of the product combinations, but also in workflow habits – that weren’t found in beta test. And some of those new combinations will ferret out additional bugs. It is the nature of the beast.

But, as an early adopter, it also means I’ll find the problems that affect me sooner, and have a better chance of reporting them early, and that that earlier reporting may result in a sooner fix, than if I wait for people who aren’t using my combination of tools and workflow to try the software. MAYBE I’d get lucky, and someone would have the same issues I’d have had, but maybe I wouldn’t, and that waiting a month or whatever for a first maintenance update would still have my problem because no one else used Cubase quite the same ways I do.

Perhaps you might ask why I don’t just try to join the beta test in that case. But, having done that through 5 major releases (and a bunch of minor ones) of my previous DAW, I know that is way more disruptive to my workflow than waiting for a first “blessed” release that has at least gone through some reasonable level of beta testing. Specifically, the frequent updates make for a lot of extra installing/uninstalling, a moving target as new pieces are added, etc. And I have almost always tested using real life projects, not made up test cases, because it is the whole workflow thing, and the combination of products I use, and the time I spend using them on any given project, that will find the issues that are, at least relatively, unique to my usage.

And, with actual beta testing, I often found myself spending a lot more time finding, troubleshooting, and reporting issues, and installing new rounds of software, than actually making music. At least with Cubase 13, the issues I’ve found, and the forum and other discussions I’ve been involved in, have only slowed me down slightly on my current project.

1 Like

It really depends on how one is using the product, doesn’t it? For a commercial studio with clients paying by the hour, of course you want a platform that is rock solid, and that the engineers understand inside and out. But even in that case, there is no harm done by installing the new release as long as you maintain C12 for client sessions.

Most of us are not using Cubase in expensive studio environments where time is of the essence. Personally, I use a small fraction of Cubase’s features. I find the finishing touches on C13 to make my life a little easier and I haven’t had any big problems with C13. I haven’t uninstalled C12 yet, but I doubt I will ever use C12 again unless it becomes necessary to compare C12 and C13 for troubleshooting purposes.

1 Like

If they want more testers, they could make the free trial available.

Thanks to all for your replies to the original post.

The suggestion was to warn those that are new to Cubase, or have been lucky enough to have previous updates work flawlessly (which many of them have). New version updates don’t always go smoothly.

One approach would be for Cubase to be released by Steinberg as a “Public Beta” until the initial issues are resolved and then announce it as “Released to the Public” This may only be one week but it could take longer in some cases.

Those that take up the challenge during the Public Beta phase would probably not be compensated but would certainly be appreciated by the rest of us. I try to do it when I have the time and am in the right mindset.


I suppose we can consider the “Public Beta” period finished with the recent release of the C13.0.20 maintenance update. Looks like it took a little over a month to gather the feedback and update the code.

Thanks to all the users who gave their time, feedback and advice. And thanks to Steinberg for all your efforts.


Well, it looks like for me persaonally , apart from silly annoyances introduced by the Steinberg apprentices , stability seems rectified but if you are looking for graphical consistency then im afraid you’ll wanna sit back and wait , crashes aren’t an issue it’s just graphics

I downloaded the 13.0.20 update and spent another 4 hours working through a plethora of new problems!
I think that, because I use AMD based processing and run under Windows 10, I’m hitting more bumps in the road than many.
Despite being setup to backup every 10 minutes, it’s stopped doing that and then, for good measure, it hung on exit and corrupted the main file.
So, despite updating, I’ve lost another 4 hours of work!!
I’m very unhappy with this “beta” release and I’m switching back to version 12.

I’ve been with Cubase since version 3 and this is the first time it’s been this bad with a new release.
Shame really because, the new bits that do work are great :thinking::disappointed: